F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Shinko Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
I just got (end of last season) Pilot Powers 2CT front and back brand new for $250 shipped on ebay. look for deals, they are out there!

Are PP2cts overkill for road use? yes, especially because i never goto the track. But I never worry about the quality of my tires...

Mounted them myself, EASY!! There are a TON of DIY motorcycle tire mounting videos online. All you need is the curved style tire iron (two of them), a chopped up plastic bottle to protect your rim, and an air hose to seat the bead. DONE!, dont throw your money away at a shop or on crappy tires! Can't say it enough, TIRES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE MACHINE.

Also i used Dyna Beads to balance the tire. Just pour them in and go!.
lol well they must not be crappy tires alot of people like them and if i really wantened the "CHEAP" way out ide go to a local guy who sells track tires with one track day on them think he sells them for 50 bucks a set haha....

Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 PM

also another question i was just looking around and has anyone ever hear of a company called full bore? Im not trying to go cheap im just keeping a open mind

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=400104346942

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmds18
... Im not trying to go cheap im just keeping a open mind
Good, b/c cheap + tires = poor idea for sportbikes.

Tires are an integral part of sportbike handling whether its twisties or not. Spend the money & get good tires. Why chance your health & safety, & bike, over cheap tires?

If you buy tires off ebay, get date codes...you don't want old tires. Too, make sure you have an inspection period & return privileges if necessary. There *are* reputable companies out there that ship tires. Anyway, just make sure you know & understand the terms under which you buy your tires.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teko1020
Why on earth would you buy PP2's for town riding? I swear some people just buy tires because thats what their friends use.

I bought these tires because i did a crap-ton of research on the best tires out there. Found a deal and picked them up. Im not concerned with longevity as much as i am confidence in good tires, it makes all the difference in the world when your tearing around pennsylvania backroads and you don't have to question yourself about going the "cheap route" on tires.

Crappy might be a tad harsh, but Shinkos are popular because they ARE cheap, not because they are good tires.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
I bought these tires because i did a crap-ton of research on the best tires out there. Found a deal and picked them up. Im not concerned with longevity as much as i am confidence in good tires, it makes all the difference in the world when your tearing around pennsylvania backroads and you don't have to question yourself about going the "cheap route" on tires.
That does not make any sense at all. You found a deal on a tire that wasn't designed for the type of riding you do. So you spent less than the person who bought the proper set of tires, but their tires are going to last twice as long. So really you didn't find a deal at all. Do you honestly believe that PP2's, that are made for really aggressive twisties/track days, are the only tires made on the market that can handle "Pennsylvania back roads?" I don't really care if you spend the money on those tires as long as it makes you feel happy. But dont come into a thread about tires suited for town riding and start spitting out your story about how you found a good deal on PP2's.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden on Shinko's before, albeit a lower end model and on a Hyosung 250r. A couple things to note for me was that they took a while to warm up, but kept the heat. For whatever amount of power that the bike was putting out, I could almost never get the rear tire to break loose... even around corners.

One thing that you should know is that Shinko's are pretty well known for the poor behavior in the rain. Personally, I think they are a pretty decent tire for the price and they'll last you. For daily commuting they're great and I never really had any real problem with them. There are much worse tires out there for you to consider.

The only time I had any drama while riding on Shinko's was when my front tire didn't grip while coming up to a light and I had to pump the brakes and they kept chirping as I did what I could to get the bike to stop, but I was coming to a quick stop from around 80-90mph and the suspension on that bike... meh.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by raylee
I've ridden on Shinko's before, albeit a lower end model and on a Hyosung 250r. A couple things to note for me was that they took a while to warm up, but kept the heat. For whatever amount of power that the bike was putting out, I could almost never get the rear tire to break loose... even around corners.

One thing that you should know is that Shinko's are pretty well known for the poor behavior in the rain. Personally, I think they are a pretty decent tire for the price and they'll last you. For daily commuting they're great and I never really had any real problem with them. There are much worse tires out there for you to consider.

The only time I had any drama while riding on Shinko's was when my front tire didn't grip while coming up to a light and I had to pump the brakes and they kept chirping as I did what I could to get the bike to stop, but I was coming to a quick stop from around 80-90mph and the suspension on that bike... meh.
Hey man thanks for the info... I dont ride my bike in the rain I just drive my car so from the sounds of it these tires would work just fine for me....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM

dude i got shinkos on my bike and have had no problem with them what so ever, i ride in the rain and all. i got the hard compound because i wanted them to last a long time, plus i do not do any twisties in the state of FL. but they seem to grip well enough to lean real low around the turns.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teko1020 you need to relax man. The original poster was asking for suggstions with tires, and i was offering my OPINION and expierence to steer him away from Shinkos. The guy is building a Ferrari themed bike for gods-sake so im guessing he would want decent tires.

There are two other posters on this thread advising against Shinkos as well.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 AM

If you are going to advise something then advise something that isnt a completely terrible idea. Like maybe advise on the regular Pilot Roads or maybe even the PR2's. Do you think if you asked a tire salesman that you were looking for a tire and that you were doing mostly commuter miles that he would direct you to a set of PP2's? No.

Quick Reply: Shinko Tire Help