F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

shifting problems

Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting problems

I beleive I have some sort of tranny issue. I tried searching but couldnt not find the answers to the exact symptoms I am having. Two rides ago, I noticed It was a little more difficult to upshift to a higher gear (almost like being lazy and not shifting all the way). Then, on today's ride, I had all kinds of shifting problems. When I upshift, it doesnt go into gear the first time, I have to give it a couple tries before it finally goes in. It takes way too much effort to shift. I would describe it like being in 6th gear and trying to upshift to a gear that is'nt there. I have this problem between 3rd to 6th. I want to mention that the gears were not popping out of gear, no grinding, and no clitch slip or anything of that sort. Just would not switch to the next gear. I also would occasionally have problems downshifting too, where it was like the bike was stuck in gear. I got stuck in 5th gear at a stop sign today. after I pulled away slowly, I didnt have many more issues as far as downshifting goes. I did try to move the gearshifter to a different position on the shift shaft but that gave no better results. The clutch is good too. I am wondering if bent shift forks would cause? I know worn ears on the internal gears is an issue but my bike does not show any signs of worn gears. Maybe the dentent arm spring broke? I have not torn into the bike yet. I am trying to get a feel for what the problem may be first. Looks like I will have my hands full this winter. Any advise?

Last edited by xtremef4i; 10-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM

check your linkage to see if its adjusted properly. if the linkage is loose, then it will make it not want to shift cleanly into the next gear

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM

makes sence, but I have had the bike for 9 years and put a lot of miles on it. until recently, I have never had a problem wth it. That was my intent on repositioning the shift lever, so I will try extenting the linkage. Thats a lot easier than splitting cases.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
check your linkage to see if its adjusted properly. if the linkage is loose, then it will make it not want to shift cleanly into the next gear
Well Backyardmechanic, you were right! I cant beleive how easy of a fix that was. I figured with as many miles, and as hard as I am on the bike, that there would be some internal damage. The bike shifts even better than it has shifted over the last few years. Like butter. Thanks for the tip. I was over thinking it, and totally forgot the easy, obvious thing to check first.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM

I'm having the same problem, did you adjust the linkage from the rear on the pedal or by the trans casing or both?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered Users

otldanny,

I had the same problem the other day, the PO laid it down a couple times, which bent and loosened up the linkage.

I took off the pedal, rotated it a couple times to tighten it on the linkage, then bolted it back on. After that, you can loosen the locknuts and rotate the linkage to raise or lower the shift pedal.

I just ordered a new pedal and linkage because they are bent, but this is a temporary fix til the boxes of parts arrive.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:35 PM

u guys are so helpful got a shifting problem well had in my case it was the shift linkage it wasn't loose but the ball joint on the gear shaft going into the gear box seized up temporary but quick fix I used grease on it an rotated it all around until it started moving freely gears shifts much better really thought I would have to open up the engine but thanks to u guys I won this battle thanks again