F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Security System or Comprehensive Coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System or Comprehensive Coverage?

Hi guys

So I got home from doing some homework in the library tonight and pull into the parking garage of my complex. There is a small corner designated by the property manager for people to park their bikes. As I head to the mail box, this guy pulls up and asks me if I park my bike in that corner, I'm like yeah. He tells me be careful because he used to park his bike there, and as soon as it got warm, he came down one night to ride, and found it stolen. He advised I get a lock or something.

Now I've been looking into alarms and see the i900 is the best bet...but for the cost of it + install, is it just better to get comprehensive coverage instead? At least with comprehensive, if it is stolen, I'll get reimbursed. With the alarm, its still possible to be stolen, just stolen with an expensive alarm. The addition of comprehensive coverage will be about 300-400 for the year for me. Maybe that with a disc lock perhaps?
My bike is a 04 f4i that I got about 2 weeks ago.

Advice please ty

Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
August 2011 ROTM

My insurance is low, so I have both alarm and comprehensive coverage.
If you go with i900, you are probably looking at somewhere around $450 to get it and have it installed. That will be one time cost. For comprehensive coverage for you is 300-400 a year, I think you need to factor into how much your bike worth, what is the deductible etc. There are other alarm that is cheaper than i900. If you park your bike next to someone's bike, perimeter alarm will be very annoying... decisions.. decisions... I would say if you have other people parking next to you, then maybe get the insurance.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 AM

At my apartment complex I just run a cable through my rear tire and onto a post. It deters people enough not to mess with it and look somewhere else.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:48 AM

its been said plenty of times before, alarms are just deterrents theyre not necessarily gonna prevent or stop someone from stealing your bike. Your best bet obviously is to get both but if it comes down to one or the other id take the insurance. Someone can still steal your bike with an alarm on it and if they do youre beat. The alarm may stop all but the most determined thieves but the insurance will cover you no matter what. If no ones around to do anything or stop them when your alarm goes off its pretty much useless. Since youre keeping it in a garage it seems like that could be the case so id get the comprehensive first and then the alarm.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both Comprehensive and an alarm.
I dont have a garage so I would rather have all the security I can get.
I have the gorilla paging alarm system.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM

well i could possibly initiate the comprehensive coverage....i mean my bike is an 04 f4i that was laid down on the left side by the previous owner. i'm not sure if thieves are deterred by an ugly scratched up fairing lol. kbb comes back with a retail value of 3600.

so yea back to what i was saying...initiate comprehensive with a 500 deduct, then get a disc lock with sounding alarm, and maybe even get a long chain to wrap around this large concrete support beam that is nearby. i was thinking that the more levels of security i add, the more of a deterrent it will be.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a garage either... I park mine in front of my back door, behind a locked chain-link fence where I also keep my dog who doesn't like people (especially men) she doesn't know.

Name:  IMG00041-20110103-2003-1-3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  8.6 KB

...oh yeah, and I have comprehensive.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

thats a good lookin dog especially with the bow-legged look like from the tom and jerry cartoons

Last edited by greenc51; 04-29-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks... She's definitely got an intimidating look. Haha

Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM

For peace of mind, both. Ill be doing an install of the scorpio i600 this weekend. My carport is close to my apt though so I expect the paging system will work well for my application. Ill also be able to hear the alarm and I can be outside in less than 30 secs with a baseball bat.

Quick Reply: Security System or Comprehensive Coverage?