F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Seat Conversion Question- subframe paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Conversion Question- subframe paint

I'm in the process of the doing the split seat conversion on my 06 blue and black. I would like to match the frame and subframe color either black or silver. Can you strip the black on the sub to silver by stripping it and if so what would you use. More difficult but thinking of painting the silver frame black. Can that be done or does it need to be powder coated? I really don't want to break the bike down to the frame. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thirdgenlxi did this I think when he swapped to the split seat conversion.. He did something to the subframe to make it match the silver frame. Try searching for it.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrowland
...Can you strip the black on the sub to silver by stripping it and if so what would you use.
Yes. Kleenstrip. Welcome to KleanStrip.com Available at most Walmarts & hardware stores.

Originally Posted by mattrowland
More difficult but thinking of painting the silver frame black. Can that be done or does it need to be powder coated? I really don't want to break the bike down to the frame. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Can be easily painted. Sand surface to accept paint...give it two coats.
Dropping off at a powder-coating shop would be easiest & not expensive...would certainly save time & effort.

When I did the split-seat conversion, I left my subframe black. Less work & still looks great given the silver frame of the bike.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I bought some aircraft remover. That's some serious stuff. I'll give it a shot.