F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Two Brothers M2 Slip-On water leak at midpipe, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Brothers M2 Slip-On water leak at midpipe, is this normal?

So I just scored a pretty badass deal on a 2 month old Two Bros M2 Titanium exhaust. The install went pretty well, removed the old exhaust gasket (midpipe/headers) and by removed, it was more like peeled off. And then I slipped the baby on and clamped it and mounted and whatnot.

I started her up and it sounded NICE!! But I felt a tiny exhaust leak at the midpipe, nothing huge at all, I could just feel a tiny stream of exhaust air coming out of where the midpipe and the exhaust joined together. Is it bad to run with a tiny exhaust leak? After about a minute of idling, water started dripping out of the exhaust/midpipe area. I'm hoping that the water is just from the condensation that has built up in the exhaust from it sitting in his garage for a while. Is this something I should worry about?

Also, after I turned my bike off, the exhaust tip would start slowly letting out a white smoke.. which i was hoping is from the condensation as well..

I read on a different forum that it is common for aftermarket exhausts to have these little leaks.. but I figured I'd ask the F4i community. Anybody have any insight on this? Hopefully its all normal. Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by FoCoCBR
So I just scored a pretty badass deal on a 2 month old Two Bros M2 Titanium exhaust. The install went pretty well, removed the old exhaust gasket (midpipe/headers) and by removed, it was more like peeled off. And then I slipped the baby on and clamped it and mounted and whatnot.

I started her up and it sounded NICE!! But I felt a tiny exhaust leak at the midpipe, nothing huge at all, I could just feel a tiny stream of exhaust air coming out of where the midpipe and the exhaust joined together. Is it bad to run with a tiny exhaust leak? After about a minute of idling, water started dripping out of the exhaust/midpipe area. I'm hoping that the water is just from the condensation that has built up in the exhaust from it sitting in his garage for a while. Is this something I should worry about?

Also, after I turned my bike off, the exhaust tip would start slowly letting out a white smoke.. which i was hoping is from the condensation as well..

I read on a different forum that it is common for aftermarket exhausts to have these little leaks.. but I figured I'd ask the F4i community. Anybody have any insight on this? Hopefully its all normal. Thanks in advance
No worries the white smoke is just condensation..It should go away..Now if it was dense white smoke youd have an issue, possible head gasket etc..Just make sure it goes away and if its faint white smoke its just the new pipe/condensation. As for the leak at the mid, ya that to is most likely condensation. Just uninstall and reinstall and make sure its snug and clamp in the correct area snuggly..It wont "hurt" anything to have this leak but its not optimal and could cause noise or carbon buildup etc..around the area after prolonged use..Congrats on the pipe...aftermarket slip ons are great! Not only do you now have a sexier bike by getting off that torpedo exhaust, but you also have a better sound and 10-15lb lighter bike..you should feel the weight diff, I did!

Funny I always read about that gasket down there but when I installed my bootleg I never saw the gasket! It must have come off inside the stock torpedo

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM

No worries the white smoke is just condensation..It should go away..Now if it was dense white smoke youd have an issue, possible head gasket etc..Just make sure it goes away and if its faint white smoke its just the new pipe/condensation. As for the leak at the mid, ya that to is most likely condensation. Just uninstall and reinstall and make sure its snug and clamp in the correct area snuggly..It wont "hurt" anything to have this leak but its not optimal and could cause noise or carbon buildup etc..around the area after prolonged use..Congrats on the pipe...aftermarket slip ons are great! Not only do you now have a sexier bike by getting off that torpedo exhaust, but you also have a better sound and 10-15lb lighter bike..you should feel the weight diff, I did!

Funny I always read about that gasket down there but when I installed my bootleg I never saw the gasket! It must have come off inside the stock torpedo
Awesome thanks so much man. Yea I may just re-install it and wiggle it around to make sure its on there snug. Or I may just run with it, who knows. And yea I'm loving the slip-on, I was actually really surprised at how much heavier the stock exhaust was.. Must be all the packing inside of it to dampen it and whatnot.

As far as the gasket goes, it actually doesn't look like a gasket, but if you take your exhaust off, at the tip of the header pipe there is like a steel wire sponge type material around it that looks like it was dipped in some liquid sealant and stuck on there. So I had to take a flathead and hammer to lightly take some of it off, and then some pliers to just peel the rest off. If your exhaust tip is big enough to wrap around it like the stock one does then you probably wouldn't notice it. Its definitely bonded onto the header pipe pretty good though, so I doubt it came off when you took that torpedo off. The bootleg may have been fabbed to fit around it.

Last edited by FoCoCBR; 06-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Did you every fix your leak problem? I have the exact same problem right now!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by cschew
Did you every fix your leak problem? I have the exact same problem right now!

If its water, dont worry about it, if its gas, search for FPR and get that fixed before it gets worst.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by knonfs
If its water, dont worry about it, if its gas, search for FPR and get that fixed before it gets worst.
Alright cool!! Thanks. I'm pretty sure its water because I didn't smell any gas but I'll double check tomorrow.

Just wondering, do you know if there will there be any affect on performance?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cschew
Alright cool!! Thanks. I'm pretty sure its water because I didn't smell any gas but I'll double check tomorrow.

Just wondering, do you know if there will there be any affect on performance?
If you're FPR is going out then yes you will see a difference in performance. Your bike will run rich and MPG will drop significantly. FPR out are fairly common on F4i just like the CCTL rattle.

I have the same exhaust as you and I do have that same leak you have. Only thing I noticed is that I backfire a lot. I'm thinking of wrapping that section with exhaust tape but I dont think it should affect any performance other than backfiring. anyways, just my 2 cents...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Yea I never really got rid of the exhaust leak. It ended up being just water, really smelly exhaust water. Mine was a tiny leak and I just ended up leaving it and forgetting it. I honestly don't see any performance issues with it, then again you probably wouldn't even be able to tell unless you dyno'd it.

Badass exhaust overall though!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by highercal
If you're FPR is going out then yes you will see a difference in performance. Your bike will run rich and MPG will drop significantly. FPR out are fairly common on F4i just like the CCTL rattle.

I have the same exhaust as you and I do have that same leak you have. Only thing I noticed is that I backfire a lot. I'm thinking of wrapping that section with exhaust tape but I dont think it should affect any performance other than backfiring. anyways, just my 2 cents...
How do you tell that you have backfire? When i ride I dont hear any popping sound but I cant really look back at my exhaust to check while i accelerate haha

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM

I just put the same exhaust on my 09 600 and I also have the water. its no problem at all it will stop dripping when the bike gets warm its just condensation. when the bike gets warm the water is burned off.