F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bags

I would like to get some kind of bag to carry stuff in while I ride. What is the best thing to get?? I was thinking more of a small bage that can be strapped to the back passenger seat as opposed to a tank bag that is big and bulky. Is there such a thing as this??

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Default RE: Saddle bags

There are all size tankbags, tailbags, and saddle bags.

You kind of have to be more specific.

I have held off on getting a tankbag because I don't really want to have to carry it in everywhere I go. If I am carrying stuff I just use a backpack. I now keep a small North Face drawstring backpack in my trunk for those "just in case" moments when you don't want to use a cargo net. (magazines, 20oz drink, etc.)

For longer hauls I am looking at a Cortech Sport Tailbag, saddlebags, and a Cortech Super-mini tankbag. I figure with all that I would have enough space for a cross-country haul.

Joe Rocket also makes some nice looking tailbags and saddlebags.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Thanks. I guess I'm looking for something quite small to strap onto the back seat to carry a dvd or whatever. Everything that I looked at (Joe Rocket etc.) is way too large for what I want.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM

How about this:

It's a Recon 5 Mid Pack. It's branded as a "Rapid Transit" which is made under Joe Rocket.
http://www.newenoughhp.com/joe_rocke..._pack_page.htm

Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Well if all you want is something small then saddle bags aren't really what you're looking for then. I've got both a JR tank bag and JR saddlebags. The tank bag isn't as bulky as you might think it is... fits really nice up there. Like Blackdog said though, you have to carry it with you (unless you wanna risk it getting stolen).

As far as the saddlebags go, well that's another story. The ones I have are expandable (simple zipper set up, same with the tank bag) but when you expand them they sag big time. I had to rig it up so it wouldn't sit on top of the pipe. Also, even though there are no hard surfaces on the underside of the bag, after a 400 mile trip the bags wore right through the paint and started chewing into the plastic (due to vibration). Got a nice indentation on both sides of the rear section. Next time I'll be sure to put a towel over the plastic before I mount those babies. Live and learn.

But both pieces have a ton of room. Without expanding the saddlebags and the tank bag I was able to pack a tent, misc. camping gear, a change of clothes, extra pair of gloves, cold weather gear (should have focused on RAIN gear, long story), reading material, etc. Only when I stopped to pick up a 6 pack and a bottle of booze did I have to expand the tank bag!!!

I bought them both really cheap off of eBay. Think the tank bag was $40 and the saddlebags were $80. I believe retail is $60 and $130, respectively. Good luck.