F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is rotating around the tank a bad habit? (street cornering)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is rotating around the tank a bad habit? (street cornering)

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

the correct way is to move side to side using your legs. Your feet should be on the ***** of your feet on the pegs, toes slightly pointed outward, this will make your knee stick out (w/o leathers n pucks tho be careful, ie slow down), act like you're trying to kiss the mirror with your head, your armpit should be over the gas filler.
Good advice. Your legs should be doing all the work of transitioning; keep your upper body free to work the controls. Most importantly is to keep your head up, looking where you want to go, and keep your head parallel and perpendicular to the ground (ie up and level). Looking at the photo, I think your body should be more in line with the bike, and more shifted towards the inside if you're riding aggressively. You don't need to have your knee down to be fast, but once you've learned to get it down, its a nice 'feeler' gauge as to how far the bike is leaned over, and how much more tire you've got.

I'm by no means perfect, and I don't claim to be the Rossi of the roads, buthere's a pic of my friend exhibiting a nice entry line and riding form:

Name:  Stephan3.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  82.1 KB

Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hanging off on the street is not only illegal but will also get you laughed at.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Hanging off on the street is not only illegal but will also get you laughed at.
Show me the law that says you cant hang off the bike lol.

hangin off thru town may get you laugh at. I aint seen no one laugh at anyone doing in the twisties.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's different

Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM

the way i see it is that rotating around the tank isn't bad form. it's taught by certain riding schools--but as you're describing it, you're doing it wrong! (jk)

pivoting around tank is helpful for smooth transitions, but you still have to "hang off". if not, there's a good chance you're getting "crossed up" which is what happens when your butt sticks out, but your upper body is still over the center line of the bike.

there are 1million ways to skin this cat. even some very fast riders don't hang off as much (doohan or eddie lawson, for instance), and others hang off a LOT (john hopkins)--once you get the basics down you'll see that there's a million different ways to do it, and if it works for you, it's fine.

here's me:

notice my head position and upper body position. and compare it to...

john hopkins:

his chest is completely against the tank and elbows and upper body WAY out over the side.

nicky hayden:

nicky is a little more upright, a little less upper body displacement than hopper.

mick doohan:

wayne rainey:

so, as you can see, riding form varies from rider to rider. every single body part position has its pros and cons, but most importantly you have to develop form that works for you.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM

i was learned in racing quads to always keep your weight on the outside peg, applied this to riding street and works great, feels really solid doing this-

Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: charlos

the way i see it is that rotating around the tank isn't bad form. it's taught by certain riding schools--but as you're describing it, you're doing it wrong! (jk)

pivoting around tank is helpful for smooth transitions, but you still have to "hang off". if not, there's a good chance you're getting "crossed up" which is what happens when your butt sticks out, but your upper body is still over the center line of the bike.

there are 1million ways to skin this cat. even some very fast riders don't hang off as much (doohan or eddie lawson, for instance), and others hang off a LOT (john hopkins)--once you get the basics down you'll see that there's a million different ways to do it, and if it works for you, it's fine.

here's me:

notice my head position and upper body position. and compare it to...

Thanks a lot!!!, Charlos.
btw, Your clutch lever seems far apart from the clipon. (Do you have long fingers?)
So, I'll keep rotating when I ride on backroads (just little bit to be unnoticed)
and hang off when I go to Gap or track.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:44 AM

ORIGINAL: StockSH

Thanks a lot!!!, Charlos.
btw, Your clutch lever seems far apart from the clipon. (Do you have long fingers?)
So, I'll keep rotating when I ride on backroads (just little bit to be unnoticed)
and hang off when I go to Gap or track.
yeah, not sure why it looks so far out, i have short fingers. must be the angle? also this is with my old clipons, which i mounted below the triple, so that might be it too.