F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding Questions (Shifting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Questions (Shifting)

New rider with a few questions that I hope aren't covered daily and **** people off. I try not to ask stupid questions that can be found in a search. Here I go.

1) Do any of you guys shift down to 1st or is this similar to a car and something that really shouldn't be done? Say if your coming upon a stop light/sign.

2) Is it ok to start out in second instead of first when leaving a stop sign or light.

Thank ahead of time.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Riding Questions (Shifting)

I don't know who told you not to shift into first in a car at a stop sign but you should give him 5 across the eyes for being retarded. Always shift into first when you come to a complete stop and keep it there. Do not sit at a stop sign/light in nuetral, you never know when you may need to make an emergency manuever (car behind you fails to stop) so make sure you and your bike are in the best possible position to escape aka: first gear. Starting out any vehicle in second gear will require you to excessively ride the clutch to get moving and result in extra cluth wear. Hope that helps, don't forget the 5 across the eyes.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM

I don't have that much riding experience (been riding since last year), but fwiw, I do shift into first when coming to a stop, and I always start out in 1st when leaving from a stop light. I downshift into 1st only when my speed is really low, because at higher speeds, the engine brake is really strong.
In a car, leaving from a stop when in 2nd gear would wear the clutch plates more than doing it in 1st gear, but the motorcycle clutch is different (wet, not dry) so this may not apply, or the wear may be less pronounced compared to a car.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: simmadown
I don't know who told you not to shift into first in a car at a stop sign but you should give him 5 across the eyes for being retarded.
Most cars I've driven (and I've only driven manual gearbox) would have a lot of resistance when trying to downshift into 1st at speeds greater than, say, 10km/h or so. To do so you have to really push on the stick and most ppl think they damage the gearbox by doing so. This is also because the 1st gear in regular cars is really really short, much shorter than in sportbikes (or sport cars for that matter). At least this is what I think... (somebody pls correct me if I'm wrong.)

Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

so make sure you and your bike are in the best possible position to escape
In addition to first gear, I always point a little away from the car in front of me so if I have to scoot a few feet I have an exit.

I always start in first but if I am making a turn I short shift into second, it kind of smooths out my throttle response a little. Coming to a stop I usually click down to first automatically and if the situationtraffic changes I'll upshift to second soI won't get compression braking.

I don't ever us my gearbox for compression braking unless it is just an easy coast to a stop. I find that in a panic/emergency stop situation I don't have the skill/coordination to use both brakes feather the clutch match revs and downshift all at the same time like I can in a car. So I plan to stop/slow with only my brakes. Rear lock-up is very bad so be careful with the rear brake and downshifting for more braking is best left to those that are better riders than you and me.

Also I do all my braking in a staight line, I pick a gear, slow with my brakes, then release the clutch and attempt to match revs, then accelerate out of a turn.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really asking about the car. I don't shift into first when stopping and never really heard of people doing that. Yes, I'll start off in first from a light in a car, but I don't shift into first untill I am stopped. Like someone mentioned, often times you can't shift into first in a car. That is why I was asking about the bike because you can shift down into first easily, unlike most cars. I didn't know if it should be done or not, but it sounds like it is fine assuming you're at a low speed.

Starting out in second: Again, i wouldn't do this in a car, but the bike is easier to do so I was wondering if this was "ok". I experience the same thing as another member mentioned; it smooths out the throttle a bit for those of us who are less experienced. I makes sense the "quick shift" into 2nd would make more sense. I didn't know if starting out in 2nd on the bike would be as harsh on the clutch as it would a car only because it is easier to do on the bike.

so in short, on a bike you can downshift to first and most cars you can't when moving...and on a bike you can start in second gear easier than a car can. These differences made me wonder if because they are easier on the bike to do, is it more "ok" to do then.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

so make sure you and your bike are in the best possible position to escape
In addition to first gear, I always point a little away from the car in front of me so if I have to scoot a few feet I have an exit.

I always start in first but if I am making a turn I short shift into second, it kind of smooths out my throttle response a little. Coming to a stop I usually click down to first automatically and if the situationtraffic changes I'll upshift to second soI won't get compression braking.

I don't ever us my gearbox for compression braking unless it is just an easy coast to a stop. I find that in a panic/emergency stop situation I don't have the skill/coordination to use both brakes feather the clutch match revs and downshift all at the same time like I can in a car. So I plan to stop/slow with only my brakes. Rear lock-up is very bad so be careful with the rear brake and downshifting for more braking is best left to those that are better riders than you and me.

Also I do all my braking in a staight line, I pick a gear, slow with my brakes, then release the clutch and attempt to match revs, then accelerate out of a turn.
Same with me except with a passangeri use the back brake more than i should so we don't get smashed into the tank. Rear brake lockup when your going straight isn't that bad if you know how to controll it. I've had some hard brakes where i've loaded the front hard and the back got so light that it just locked up. Anyways I agree with you 100%

Old 03-15-2008, 12:39 PM

ya just make sure you blip the throttle a bit and rev match when you go down into first

Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM

I understand what you are saying now. First gear requires more throttle control. A new rider could feel jerky downshifting to first while moving towards a stop and trying to accomodate for rev matching and then the engine braking. It's ok to wait to shift into first until you have completed the stop, just don't forget to clutch. Occasionally you may need to roll the bike forward or backwards while at a stop to go from second to first. These trannies are made to shift while rotating. I would recommend always starting in first even if you do shortshift to second quickly. I do the same thing especially this time of year as the snow goes away but all the road sand and salt is everywhere. Going around a sharp corner in first while negotiating gravel can be hairy.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: simmadown

I understand what you are saying now. First gear requires more throttle control. A new rider could feel jerky downshifting to first while moving towards a stop and trying to accomodate for rev matching and then the engine braking. It's ok to wait to shift into first until you have completed the stop, just don't forget to clutch. Occasionally you may need to roll the bike forward or backwards while at a stop to go from second to first. These trannies are made to shift while rotating. I would recommend always starting in first even if you do shortshift to second quickly. I do the same thing especially this time of year as the snow goes away but all the road sand and salt is everywhere. Going around a sharp corner in first while negotiating gravel can be hairy.
Ok thanks.

Quick Reply: Riding Questions (Shifting)