F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding on a bad CCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Riding on a bad CCT

Okay I'm glad this discussion happened. Previously I thought that the CCT and CCTL were the same too. Please clear up what's harmful and what's not harmful to ignore and the different symptoms of each.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cctl rattles, but so far, of all the F4i's this occurred in, there has not been one case that i've heard of with proof that it had caused catastrophic failure as a few have posted without any back up information. those who have keep saying the mechanic mentioned cct...well then which one is it? cct or cctl?

Take a look at the microfiche, the cct and cctl are not the same part...i expect a mechanic to know the difference, otherwise stay away from a bike...yet, they still say cct instead of cctl.

now consider why no mandatory recall was ever instilled by honda...there's no safety issues with it...making a bike jump timing that can lead to all sorts of failures would indeed warrant a mandatory recall...but this is not the case.

the noise is just noise...and honda knows that as well. it's due to increased tolerances in the cotter pin at the tip, then the shaft of the cctl increasing in tolerance against the body of the cctl. if you extend the cctl completely, you can see the wear mark. while there are ways to lessen this, wear is wear and eventually after any fix, it will start to rattle again. so flaring the pin at the tip only works for so long before you hear noise due to shaft, etc. i've even had new cctl's with loose pins from factory.

other remedies that have worked i'm not too comfy with, this includes using APE or sticking a bolt to the rear of the oem unit to put extra tension and extend the cctl shaft some more. the stock unit knows how much to extend and when to extend and how much tension to put on the cam chain...increasing the tension to mitigate a cctl lacking tension is fine, but when the cause of the noise is not that, then it adds tension to the cam chain.

you want to read about failures...do a search about APE failures...that one is for real...with the poster being first hand account...and not "my mechanic said this and that"...is available at cbrworld.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did a search the board on ape failure and found nothing..

Is there a link anywhere?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:52 PM

i got my 02 at 4750miles last year. i'll be hitting 20,000 miles in the next day or so. ever since i got the bike, i have the rattle sound at the 6k rpm level. haven't tried correcting the rattle problem. it doesn't bother me. my stereo and exhaust are louder than the rattle lol

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrong board...head to cbrworld.net

Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL....don't worry I went to the .com first myself. But on .net I found a bunch of rants and so forth. Nothing really substatative. (did I spell that right?)

Old 03-26-2008, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: brveagle

why push it?

mine caused the my piston to make contact with a valve.

but don't take my word on it. Go read on any other forums about failing cct's

....didn't you post in the bigger CCTl post I put up? You challenged my ideas that the CCTL "failure" does not cause engine damage, claimingthesame engine failureyou claim here. I asked you to back it up a little better, but never really got any proof. Honestly, I would bet money yourmotor failed of someother reason....you would be VERY hard pressed to have a CCTL fail in a manner that would cause catastrophic engine failure....when the CCTL "fails" the rattle you hear is nothing more then the tip on the lifter rattling around and maybe the lifter itself rattling on the CCTL body....NOT THE CAM CHAIN SLAPPING AROUN INSIDE THE MOTOR..... and in your harsh statment towards TAHOE, I don't see what the problem is when something is wrong and misleading to have it corrected....

Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

yes the noise is annoying...but rip off the head and measure cam chain tension...it will be within spec.

ABSOLUTLY CORRECT!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM

This is where alot of the debating took place.... there is good info there...you just gotta work around some things, lol

https://cbrforum.com/m_502781/tm.htm

Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Well im still waiting for the new CCT to come in, should be here tomorrow or the day after. I dont remember who made the post about honda recalling the part if it was so severe, but it's a good point. Bottom line for me is that when i hit about 5k rpm, and it starts to rattle, it drives me f***ing insane. Besides its always on the back of my mind now, that WHAT IF i get that total failure. Since I heard the noise, and now have been reading all the posts on it, I have been riding like a little girl, shifting gears at like 3500 rpm's, before the rattle starts.

also since im replacing the CCT, when it comes in, should I also replace the CCTL while im at it? Or is this not necessary, does one have anything to do with the other going bad?

I will keep you posted on what happened after I get it replaced. Thanks again for all the help!

Quick Reply: Riding on a bad CCT