F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

reversed Moto GP shift pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Moto GP shift pattern

On the F4i do you have to go 180 degrees? Reason I ask is because on other bikes I started at 180 but ended up with a little less angle. Also you may find that a different length connecting rod will change the angle for GP. Just something to try.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its something that would have to be messed around with to try and get right, but i think if we can figure something out then it would be a pretty good write up. Anybody here from the chicago land area, maybe we can go riding before the season is out or try to figure out a way to convert the shift pattern

Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea mang...f4i you gots to do the 180 degrees...or just at the very least, the rod on top instead of bottom.

no need for a write it, it's been done lots...people either use the shifter from the VFR or blackbird which does not use a rod (attaches to the engine side directly and not to the footpeg) or do the 180...but mang...that schiznit flings everywhere when the cover isn't on!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:27 PM

oh mang...check this out...
mukuni rearsets...i can't find a thing about it on the net...other than where i got this pix from...and gp shift! looks like an adaptor that extends out from the tranny shaft...

Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

oh mang...check this out...
mukuni rearsets...i can't find a thing about it on the net...other than where i got this pix from...and gp shift! looks like an adaptor that extends out from the tranny shaft...

can't find anything either. I've got an oppportunity to get a set of Vortex for $200.
1) Should I take em?
2) Can they do GP shift?
3) Can I put a rear brake light on them?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 PM

yes...yes...yes...you just have to buy a pressure switch...

the only way to do gpshift is to take off sprocket cover and rotate the linkage 180 degrees so it's on top rather than bottom.

if you like it lots, then cut the cover to accomodate it.

otherwise, use a VFR shifter linkage...or blackbird (will need spacer)...but i'm just going to rotate it.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:34 PM

ok mang...i swapped mines around last night...

i like the feel, upshift is firm...downshift will need to get used to...

i can tell that the set up will be great for track...but on the street, other than no more miss shifts and running throug the gears faster...it's not really all that...

what will i do? i will leave it for now cause i'm lazy like that...and if i get used to it for the street GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM

i flipped it and removed the sprocket cover. it's not a big deal, even after a fresh chain lubing.

i'll eventually find a way to put it back, but yeah you have to cut a LOT of it to get it to fit.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: reversed Moto GP shift pattern

Hey guys I did this a couple of weeks ago on my 02 F4I and found that I had to file off a little metal off the back of the shifter arm(the one your foot presses on) to clear the rod end. It dose work without filing the arm but the rod end rubs as you shift causing a bad felling shift. After filing a little metal off its much better and I love the GP style shifting.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: reversed Moto GP shift pattern

Holy fish. It's easy on the F4i.

Remove the sprocket cover.
Remove the bolt from shift bar to the motor.
Flip it over. (you can even adjust this. At first, I would constantly miss gears. I was used to barely hitting it and it shifts, but now you had to really make an effort. I took it off again, moved it a couple teeth foreward, and it's back to perfect)
Put the bolt back on.
Dremmel some room on the sprocket cover BUT * Leave the bottom bolt hole attached! Dont cut it off. You will want to use both bolts when putting the sprocket cover on.
Go try it out.

I like the downshifts and upshifts this way. It especially comes in handy when coming down from an uncomfy wheelie. Set it down and hit the shifter a couple times and it's back to riding normal.
Also when/if I get to shifting while wheelies, I can only assume upshifting hitting down will help a lot.

Quick Reply: reversed Moto GP shift pattern