F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Removing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing spark plugs

Ok, so what's the secret? I was down in the throttle body region the other day, and saw the harnesses connected to what could only be the spark plugs, however how do you get the plugs out? The spin, but don't come out. I just don't want to break them, because god knows my super human strength will probably rip the bike in half before they leave the engine.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't done them on the F4i. On the F3 the plugs either came out in the socket I used or I sent a magnetic pickup tool in after them. Deep socket + extension + swivel.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u talking bout the coils? i just kinda shook mine, they r really weird to get out

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM

I also haven't seen the f4i setup, but the plug tool I got through honda had a rubber grommet inside that kind of grabs the ceramic part of the plug once the threads are completely out.

I think most plug sockets have this rubber grommet... I know the ones in my craftsman set have them.

Another thing you might try to do is completely loosen the plugs so they're out, then try grabbing them with the plug wires. Should be able to grab them the way I described with the plug tool.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

With all due respect

Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Talking J/K

Remove the wire connectors, then rock & twist the coil boots off. They're solid & hard to damage. Once off, you'll see the plugs inside the holes.

For removing the plugs themselves, the OEM tool which came with the bike works great. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a sparkplug socket (slim profile) and an extension. All good sparkplug sockets should have the rubber piece inside, not only to retain the plugs while removing/installing them, but to prevent damaging the ceramic.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
With all due respect
Yea Zero!!! Grrr!!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm sure you're talkin bout the coil packs, do like Cogs said, twist and pull. Once off, if you don't have a spark plug socket (with the rubber insert that gabs the plug), use one of those overflow tubes that runs down the left fairing, stick it in the hole and push hard to seat the rubber hose, also use the hose to start the new ones (to avoid cross threading). I keep a small piece of coolant hose in my tool box just for plugs.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

According to the Shop manual. Remove the radiator (two bolts) it comes down in front of the fender. I used the tool in the tool kit and had the job done in about a hour. The coil packs come out with a little upward pressure and some looking where they will fit under the tank. Easy job.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by kurtmartin
According to the Shop manual. Remove the radiator (two bolts) it comes down in front of the fender. I used the tool in the tool kit and had the job done in about a hour. The coil packs come out with a little upward pressure and some looking where they will fit under the tank. Easy job.
I know the manual says to do the radiator thing but trust me, remove the airbox and BAM! there right there in front of you. Moving the radiator is a major PITA!!

Here's a pic of the motor with the airbox removed and you can clearly see the coil packs and underneath them is the sparkplugs.

Attached Thumbnails Removing spark plugs-cleanairmod.jpg  

Quick Reply: Removing spark plugs