F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Removed Tank - Now Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed Tank - Now Nothing

Here it goes my first official post politely asking for asistance. First off I would like to say that I have searched all weekend of the forum for similiar issues and I have found some very helpful information. I have actually tried some if it already and I havent been successful. Here is the issue as best as I can describe it.

I have a 2002 f4i 14,000 miles on it and mechanically it has been running fine for the past four months. I had some plastics on it that I hated and I finally was able to get a hold of some fairings and I got them painted. I obviously didnt want a different color tank so I removed the tank to have it painted as well. I got everything back from the body shop and started to place everything back on the bike. I hooked up the tank in the reverse order I removed everything. I put headlight assembly back on the bike. I went to start the bike and no prime on the fuel pump. The motor was turning over just not starting.

Through my research I learned that possibly my battery wasnt drawing enough power to prime the pump. (I charged battery fully) I also learned that the kill switch might be acting up I removed and cleaned the contacts and noticed a small wire wasnt connected appears that the solder joint failed.

I wanted to check the fuel pump itself to see if for some strange reason it went bad in the seven days it was off the bike to get the tank painted. Here is one of my first issues. I pulled the connector out and rain wires from an external power source to the contacts in the connector and I got a spark and i heard the pump start to prime for a brief moment and it was brief, i tried it again and I havent been able to get the pump to prime. My fuel pump was working fine prior to having the tank painted. Is it possible I could have burn up my fuel pump by hooking it up to a seperate power source.

Also, if it isnt the pump why would it not be priming. I really feel it has to be something simple since everything was working fine prior to getting it painted. Am I missing something really simple? Also I really spent a lot of time researching here before I posted this I didnt want to be redundant I gathered information and tried somethings but now I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you hook up the vacuum hose, from the petcock?
I believe the F4i's use one to control on/off.

Hope it helps, Ern

Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM

So after I wrote my first post I have ruled out a few things since then. I resolved the fuel pump issue, my fuel pump works!!!!

Still not priming to eliminate the fuel pump relay I checked for power with the relay pulled out and I have ground on both pins and no power on either pin indicating to me that the power isnt coming from the kill switch.

I think I have a bad switch. How can I check the switch.

I did hook up all the hoses.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Well, I fixed it just now, I feel really stupid, but it was something really simple. I pulled the upper cowl off and realized I didnt have the tip sensor plugged in. I guess that is what I get for rushing and not taking my time. Thanks for the help. I am stoked to go ride....

Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Default help

I just did the exact same thing you did and have the exact same problem. Could you possibly post a pic or give me a detailed description of where its at?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread need more pictures!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM

lathegreat1189 sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been really busy, if you havent fixed the problem by now I will def post some pics up sat when i am home and have a chance too, i know how frustrating it can be not to be able to figure it out. Sat I will be home from out of town and i can get them up here by early afternoon?