F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Recommended Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll always find people on both sides of the fence, saying completely different things. Do whichever makes you happier. I personally put in 93 octane from Shell, same as my BMWs.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

i use 92 octane with 10% eth. ****ing hippies! lol i would use i know the bikes stock can do 80 whatever octane with 10% eth. but with mods and my PC3 i dont know what the downloaded tune is set for on octane so i just use 92 octane better safe then sorry. i think the 20 cents per gal. is worth it till i get a real tune.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Eighty-Seven....No ethanol if you can help it.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM

oregon has 10% eth. in all pumps. the only way you can get it without is pump it in to gas jug/can we can pump 100 octane in cars and trucks also but it has 10% eth. but its $8.00 gal.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Parts of SE Wisconsin here have no ethanol pumps, but I have yet to find one in the cities. So I deal with the 10%...

Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 AM

I am new to sport bikes but have been tuning my Talon engines for years. You want to use the lowest octane possible that doesn't knock. For cars at least that means go with the recommended from the manual or up to 2 points more.

If it's the same as computer controlled cars the optimum power scenario is chosing the octane that just keeps the engine from knocking (heard by a knock sensor not your ears)... if you go higher then that you will actually lose power.

Sure higher octane fuels are less prone to knock but what most people don't realize is that higher octane fuels actually burn slower.

In most modern cars the ECU watches the knock sensor for any activity. If all is well it advances the timing to the loaded map values tuned by the engineers. If, however, it starts seeing knock it starts dropping timing and you take a performance hit. So what you want is enough octane to avoid the ECU from retarding your timing.

So let's say that point is 89 octane that your car never sees knock. Now you go and put 94 octane in. It still won't knock... so the ECU will still be on the same map curve as the 89 octane. BUT now you have a slower burning mixture. What this does is it delays the peak pressure point of the burn.... thus reducing the actual timing. This will reduce your performance and mileage.

I just picked up my F4i a few weeks ago so I have no idea yet how it's system works but I assume the above probably applies is some manner.

Last edited by Jaxman; 08-10-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
Parts of SE Wisconsin here have no ethanol pumps, but I have yet to find one in the cities. So I deal with the 10%...
Many of the pumps here in Madison have ethanol in everything except for their premium. Another reason why I use premium, to avoid ethanol.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM

I go mid grade. Makes me feel like I'm running top shelf without paying for it

Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 AM

Somewhere is suggests 91 for me, but I used 87 when I ran out of gas one time, didn't notice any real difference in power.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxman
I am new to sport bikes but have been tuning my Talon engines for years. You want to use the lowest octane possible that doesn't knock. For cars at least that means go with the recommended from the manual or up to 2 points more.

If it's the same as computer controlled cars the optimum power scenario is chosing the octane that just keeps the engine from knocking (heard by a knock sensor not your ears)... if you go higher then that you will actually lose power.

Sure higher octane fuels are less prone to knock but what most people don't realize is that higher octane fuels actually burn slower.

In most modern cars the ECU watches the knock sensor for any activity. If all is well it advances the timing to the loaded map values tuned by the engineers. If, however, it starts seeing knock it starts dropping timing and you take a performance hit. So what you want is enough octane to avoid the ECU from retarding your timing.

So let's say that point is 89 octane that your car never sees knock. Now you go and put 94 octane in. It still won't knock... so the ECU will still be on the same map curve as the 89 octane. BUT now you have a slower burning mixture. What this does is it delays the peak pressure point of the burn.... thus reducing the actual timing. This will reduce your performance and mileage.

I just picked up my F4i a few weeks ago so I have no idea yet how it's system works but I assume the above probably applies is some manner.
+1

f4i's will run better if not the same on unleaded as it would premium.

Most engines (including the F4i) do not require the use of high octane gasoline simply because they're not designed with high compression combustion chambers. A good rule of thumb is to utilize the lowest octane rating which doesn’t exhibit pinging. Along those lines, using a higher octane gasoline in an engine not designed to do so, will not improve performance, although most oil companies would like to make you believe that it does; high octane/more money

Quick Reply: Recommended Gas?