F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rebuild the Bike or Sell & Buy New One?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F4i parts are far cheaper than "newer" bikes as well as much more forgiving if you make a mistake and kiss the pavement.

You do alot of commuting? These are one of the best commuting sport bikes out there as far as comfort.

and Hell Yea an 06 R1 is going to be more desirable than a f4i, it's newer, bigger, better and is excessively over powered for daily street use, but just know that the f4i is a well beyond more than capable ride.

the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked into upgrading from my f4i to an 06-08 R1...........but I live in Atlanta too, and the thought of having a bike that big with under a year riding experience in this town would be a mistake. That's not to say I wouldn't get one eventually, but this city if full of idiot cagers, and a bigger bike at that experience level would only compound the problem.

I would just mess around with the bike and use it as a hobby for a little longer. Hell, I didn't like the stock color of my bike, so I painted it and had a lot of fun, and gained a lot of knowledge in the process. And if I were you I would do the split seat conversion on that bike (which would probably actually add more value to the bike down here).

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by chefphil2
I've looked into upgrading from my f4i to an 06-08 R1...........but I live in Atlanta too, and the thought of having a bike that big with under a year riding experience in this town would be a mistake. That's not to say I wouldn't get one eventually, but this city if full of idiot cagers, and a bigger bike at that experience level would only compound the problem.

I would just mess around with the bike and use it as a hobby for a little longer. Hell, I didn't like the stock color of my bike, so I painted it and had a lot of fun, and gained a lot of knowledge in the process. And if I were you I would do the split seat conversion on that bike (which would probably actually add more value to the bike down here).
Good advice, and is what I will do. Thanks a lot.
If I do the split seat conversion, does that mean I would have order fairings for an 01-03?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personal opinion: most people say they want a bigger bike but I don't think that's what they're really saying. What I think they want is quicker acceleration because honestly nobody sane spends a lot of time at the top end of our 600s. Nevermind a liter bike. That said, change the sprockets for more torque. It'll cost on the top end but again, how often are you really riding at max speed?

Beyond that if you've really only got 4 months under your belt, do yourself a favor: Go read some of the near miss threads posted by guys here and ask yourself if you know (not think, not guess) you could come out of it on the right side of those situations. Then think about handling them with even less time to react. Liters forgive very little.

I personally think they don't forgive anything and are spiteful bitches that'll actually punish you for mistakes that may ruin their good looks

Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Good advice, and is what I will do. Thanks a lot.
If I do the split seat conversion, does that mean I would have order fairings for an 01-03?

I know that some companies will sell individual fairing pieces. I'm not sure what the difference is between an 01 f4i kit and a 06 f4i kit would be other than the tail piece. I'm pretty sure that there is a write up on here somewhere about how to do it. I saw on for sale on here last night in the for sale f4i section.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi green! To be honest, I am so shocked to read your question because we have very similar personalities in a way. I also have a 2002 F4I and for some reason I always want something newer like those sexy R6s and 600RRs. For some reason I am never satisfied or happy with what I have. Anyway I just wanted to say good luck with your choices and I hope all works well! I was trying to sell my F4I to get a 2002 R1, but changed my mind because I heard about transmission issues. Everyday though I try and put in my head that my F4I is faster than 95% of vehicles on the road, and 99% of the time we cant use the bikes full potential unless we are on the track. You have a beautiful bike BTW. Thats my favorite color scheme with the banana seat version. With the split tale also I think you need the fairings and seat and the metal thing that goes under it. I seen a lot of split tail conversions here before!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise
Hi green! To be honest, I am so shocked to read your question because we have very similar personalities in a way. I also have a 2002 F4I and for some reason I always want something newer like those sexy R6s and 600RRs. For some reason I am never satisfied or happy with what I have. Anyway I just wanted to say good luck with your choices and I hope all works well! I was trying to sell my F4I to get a 2002 R1, but changed my mind because I heard about transmission issues. Everyday though I try and put in my head that my F4I is faster than 95% of vehicles on the road, and 99% of the time we cant use the bikes full potential unless we are on the track. You have a beautiful bike BTW. Thats my favorite color scheme with the banana seat version. With the split tale also I think you need the fairings and seat and the metal thing that goes under it. I seen a lot of split tail conversions here before!
Yeah, it seems like we have the same thought process. I'm used to having the bestest, shiniest, and fastest toys...just like my wrx with 330+hp
Well anyway...could someone provide insight on a type of sprocket set I can get that'll provide more tq? i was looking around and this sprocket stuff is confusing

Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM

I highly recommend supersprox sprockets. Its what was recommended to me on here when I needed new ones and Its now what I recommend to anybody else that asks.

SUPERSPROX USA

I would also stick with 525, and not do a 520 kit. I havnt heard anything bad about the 520's but I believe that the 525's are a bit stronger so the chain wont stretch out as quickly.

Last edited by Jmclmorrow; 08-08-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Thank you for the recommendation

Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Personal opinion: most people say they want a bigger bike but I don't think that's what they're really saying. What I think they want is quicker acceleration because honestly nobody sane spends a lot of time at the top end of our 600s. Nevermind a liter bike. That said, change the sprockets for more torque. It'll cost on the top end but again, how often are you really riding at max speed?
+1, if you really want more UMPH for your F4i, I would also tell you to look into sprockets. Apparently it makes a very noticeable difference. Good stuff in the previous few posts.