F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear Brake Light Disconnected from pedal - Help

Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Unhappy Rear Brake Light Disconnected from pedal - Help

First post, new bike owner-

Names Greg, I purchased a "modified" 2001 CBR600 F4i.

The previous owner(s) were incompetent when it comes to bikes, apparently. As such, it was super cheap.

Anyway, ALL of the lighting system was disconnected when I bought it. I have since rewired everything and I'm on my last part.

The foot pedal brake does not light up the tail lights- failed inspection in Maine.

I found the sensor dangling behind the pedal. The bike HAS aftermarket brackets and possible a lever. (I nothing to compare it to). There is seemingly nowhere to screw this contraption in, or get it to pull that weird little pin.

The device does work, if you manually pull it the lights like up but I don't know how to attach it.

Instructions, pics, ect. would be super helpful.

Thanks,

-Greg

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by WarTowels View Post
First post, new bike owner-

Names Greg, I purchased a "modified" 2001 CBR600 F4i.

The previous owner(s) were incompetent when it comes to bikes, apparently. As such, it was super cheap.

Anyway, ALL of the lighting system was disconnected when I bought it. I have since rewired everything and I'm on my last part.

The foot pedal brake does not light up the tail lights- failed inspection in Maine.

I found the sensor dangling behind the pedal. The bike HAS aftermarket brackets and possible a lever. (I nothing to compare it to). There is seemingly nowhere to screw this contraption in, or get it to pull that weird little pin.

The device does work, if you manually pull it the lights like up but I don't know how to attach it.

Instructions, pics, ect. would be super helpful.

Thanks,

-Greg

The world is full of idiots and so many of them are attracted to modifying motorcycles. Sounds like a real botch job. Unless it was never intended for the street.

Anyway, the stock switch screws into a boss on the inside of the rear brake lever mount. Photo attached. Depending on what you've got, you could fashion a little mount of aluminum and make it work. Attach it from the inside by boring and tapping a could of holes, maybe. Without seeing it, hard to say.

Don't stress too much. As fixes go, this is a relatively easy one.

I prepared a nice labeled photo for you, but the forum won't let me upload it. Don't know why. It's not very big.

PM me and I'll e-mail it.

--Paul

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Yes, the PO's were terrible.

I've replaced the Sweet!!11 CF mirrors with OEM's, replaced the rear tires, grips, reupholstered the ripped rear seats, replaced the windsheild bolts, replaced the mirror bolts, rewired all of the lights minus the current one.
Added a custom license plate light, since the bike had none when purchased.

I replaced a broken cable for the rear seat pop up, sadly the absolutely rubbish fender elimator kit is the problem so it still dosen't work. Sigh.

The bike has 20k, crash gaurds, bunch of scratches, and a power commander, with a CF slip on. It's not a bad bike, the price was right. This is my first bike so it's a hell of a machine for a starter bike.

Here's a pic- assuming im doing it right.

Name:  Bike.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  191.4 KB

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Well I got the light working. Thank you Paul.

The aftermarket piece (what is that piece called) has no place for a brake light.

For the time being, zip ties and a spring are making it work. I intend on making an aluminum bracket which will bolt on and hold the sensor. But I want to get the bike legal asap.

Thanks,

-Greg

Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 AM

I actually can't remember the time when I would use my rear brake without the front. I'm sure the bike is totally legal as she is at the moment. But still, it's always good to know that everything is working on your bike.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 AM

I see that you fixed it now. Making the stock switch work with rearsets is never that hard. Another way is to put a banjo bolt type hydraulic switch on the brake master cylinder. What rearsets is that? Woodcraft?

My F4 was also owned in the past by "technically challenged" people. It's just a matter of taking all fairings off and do a good check over of the whole bike. Often these bikes was not abused by hard riding and stunting so everything important like engine and gearbox is OK.