F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Raising the backend

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Raising the backend

I`m willing to bet that he weights more that the 145 or so lbs that the test rider was when the bike was developed.
Name:  13ff7309.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  37.1 KB
Name:  9eea5c64.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  33.6 KB

Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

You guys do realize that the handling of your bike has been dumbed down FROM THE FACTORY!!!

I'm willing to bet that he weights more that the 145 or so lbs that the test rider was when the bike was developed. Raising the rear of the bike may put him closer to the proper geometry that he should have.

Additionally, no one asked him what kind of tires he was wearing. That will also give clues at to where his geometry should be at. Case in point:
I recently began to notice a change in my handling and yesterday saw that the center of my rear tire was beginning to flatten (Michelin PPs). That is enough to change the geometry and alter the handling of the triangulated profile of the PPs. To restore some of the handling will require me to raise the backend of my bike. It's simple with my Ohlins shock and I have options on how to do it.

Cheers.
Honda like most factories are multi million if not billion dollar companies that have been engineering/racing bikes for decades. There employee's every year are looking for the smallest amount of room to enhance performance. Most people dont weigh 145 pounds let alone with gear on. I wouldnt bank on that idea, then everyone would need to mod their bike. I would feel more comfortable letting the engineers do their job than me trying to do their job and tinker around with it in some garage. If the dude had a handling issue and wanted better performance then ya take it to a professional that can do work on your shocks and set up. But he had no issue with handling but could create one.
________
Lenya

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Assuming that you actually ride the bike, and yournot just parking lot posing, then raising the rear or dropping the front of the bike without specific knowledge and handling goals can be dangerous. It will effect the handling and stability of the bike. without a very solid understanding of the geometry and suspension, I wouldnt do it.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys have no ideas what engineering constraints are involved in designing a product that has to fit a WIDE range of people WORLDWIDE. Your conclusions are based on incomplete assumptions about his situation. Why not inquire further about him, his bike and the way he rides? And furthermore, why do you think the aftermarket industry exists...for bling?

Krash- I'm surprised at you, especially after putting springs on your stock F4i suspension. Oh, BTW how did it ride after doing it?

F4iMane- I'll catch you on the rebound bud.

Love you both :-)

Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM

why are you surpised at me?I didnt say that it could not be done,but that without knowlegde of how to, why to, and what will happen, it can be dangerous. The OP stated he wants to raise the back of the bike 1-2inches, but doesnt really know how to go about it. That tells me that he does not have knowledge of suspension and geometry tuning. Raising the back of the bike 2 inches is an incredable amount, and will drastically reduce the stability of the bike.

I dont have the F4i with the suspension tweaks anymore. When I put the new spring on the shock I dont think I got the correct spring rate. I could not set sag correctly on the rear of the bike with the new spring on it. I could feel that the back was not squatting any on corner exit which made me nervous about driving out of corners. I was about to order the next spring ratedown when I traded it out for an 07rr trackbike.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM

I agree that 2" is a lot, but again, that's all we know.

I know you don't have the bike anymore.

When I said that I'm surprised-you're one of the more senior guys around here as far as knowledge is concerned. We have a responsibility to convey that experience in a careful manner. It's good to be cautious but over cautiousness can be dangerous too. It will become urban legend and soon it will be "NEVER Raise the back end of your bike". I think you weren't balanced in your caution.

Now, if you must know WHY your rear didn't squat on exit....the rear of a motorcycle rises under acceleration, not squats. You probably needed more rebound damping if it made you squirrely (odd, since you should have been light in the front).

Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM

maybe true, but to play devils advocate for a moment, you told him to go buy aftermarket suspension without giving him any insight on what may happen. which is more irresponsible?

your right the bike dioes rise under acceleration, and your also right (now that I remember it) that I was having damping problems. but basically I needed a different spring to test and never got around to it. I put the factory one back on becuase I had a track day coming and I wasnt ready to take that set up to the track. Then I sold the bike before the next trackday so I never got to finish my experiment

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 AM

You could be right, but consider for a moment that IF he bought aftermarket suspension....who's going to put it on for him? Think he'll get SOME setup advice? I think it's likely.

But you're always my mang Krash. Keep riding bro. :-)

Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM

I track my f4i alot.I asked gmd and another suspension guy at Jenninggp in Florida what to do to help her dive in corners harder.They both told me to do a 1/4 spacer in the top of my shock.I did this and went to the track last weekend.Wow did the bike perform differently.In a good way

If you do a 1/4 inch spacer your rear will lift about an inch,but was told do not add more then 1/4 spacer.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 AM
June 2011 ROTM

As far as factory suspension with weight, I weigh 206lbs and the *** end still sits way up there.

Quick Reply: Raising the backend