F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about riding with a passenger

Old 06-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about riding with a passenger

Hi everyone im new to the forum and new to riding. Just got a new F4i and ive ridden about 400 miles on it. My questions is how soon is to soon to ride with my lady on the back. We wouldnt be riding highways just around the city and stuff. Im trying to take baby steps through the whole process of me getting a bike and everything thats why i ask about this. Well thanks alot any help is appreciated
Stephen

Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Question about riding with a passenger

it depends on how comfortable you are with her on the back. Take her for a little spin around the block. Just make sure she knows how to ride on the back. Do a google on riding a passenger. My ex read it and she did really well on the back. When you lean, she should lean slightly, when you go to break, she should put her hands on the gas tank to stop her from falling onto you, etc... Only you know how soon is too soon, i've never seen you ride so I can't say if it's too soon or not. Be careful buddy.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:42 PM

thanks alot man thats bassically the kind of info i was looking for

Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM

I just took my girl out for the first time a couple of days ago. Its not as bad as it might seem, but its definitely different than riding solo. Just take your time and go very slow at first. The only thing I noticed that you might want to watch out for is when you are going at a slow speed like coming to a stop the front tire wants to wobble a little.

Personally, I would suggest you get a little more solo time on the bike before taking a passenger. But like F4i said, only you know how soon is too soon.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 PM

Riding with your girl behind you will definitely change the dynamics of the bike compared to being solo. It can’t hurt to read up on as much as you can.

I think whoever is in control needs to communicate during the process as well. Not necessarily verbally…we all know how that would go at 30+ (WHAT??? COME AGAIN??!?!) For instance…When you know your going to start off fast, or accelerate from a cruising speed, move your left arm back to let her know to hold on or bring her arms around you. Last thing you need is your girl to fly off the back. We might see your bike in the classifieds after that!

Just go over signals such as that BEFORE on the bike…that way there is no question as to what you’re doing, or about to do.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Go SLOW in the beginning. I would say a month or so more solo time. take it to a nice curvey sideroad or huge college parking lot and to hard to master coners by yourself. Also, if you go even 75% open throttle with a passenger,the front wheel WILL COME UP in first and usually second. EASY trying to make her think you're cool. Make sure she has a jacket and helmet, and long pants w/shoes preferred.

And for god sakes, only go fast with her AFTER youre 100% comfortable, where you KNOW the road exactly, and in a STRAIGHT *** LINE. Take if from someone who has been down with a girl on the back. We were both fine, but it was by far the worse day of my life.