F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about coolant flush

Hello everyone,

So, today I did my coolant flush again. No big deal. This was my second time doing it and the first time since last year, but this time I decided to use Engine Ice. I only changed the coolant because I wanted to use Engine Ice.

I followed the directions in the manual and flushed the coolant, washed the radiator with distilled water, washed the reservoir with distilled water and filled with Engine Ice.

Here is the question/problem I ran into that I didn't think about last year when I changed the coolant. The manual states that a coolant flush should warrant 2.7 liters of new coolant. Engine Ice comes in 1/2 gallon bottles (approximately 1.89 liters) and when I refilled the radiator, the radiator was full after just one bottle of Engine Ice (only 1.89 liters). I then proceeded to purge the air out of the system and let the bike run for about 5 minutes occasionally blipping the throttle. Only this time I let the bike run for another 5 minutes and I noticed that the coolant started to run up and out, but it had a lot of green in it (which is my question).

Does following the directions in the manual (empty coolant by unscrewing the water pump screw, then the cylinder screw) allow for all of the coolant to exit the system? Since Engine Ice is blue and the previous coolant I used was green, seeing a lot of green makes me believe that I didn't do a true flush following the manual's directions. The bike was on front and rear stands and was upright instead of being on the side stand.

Is there any way to get all of the old coolant out of the system? When I flush the coolant should my bike be on its side stand instead of being upright?

Thanks.

Last edited by supersnake83; 03-27-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a few gallons of distilled water, drained, filled with distilled, turned on and ran with the idle up until hot, let cool completely, drain and repeat about three times and that seemed to do the trick, a lot of the coolant still is in the hoses and what not, so it's best just to do it a few times with distilled, also mine may or may not have been the original old coolant, so I was making extra sure.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.

That was one thing I didn't do, run the engine when I put the distilled water in. I might change the coolant again in the soon future, but Engine Ice is 22.00/bottle/.5 gallon. I will just see how cool it runs.

As I have found on the web, with most bikes, there is no true way to get all of the fluid out when doing a coolant flush and I would rather have some old fluid mixed with the Engine Ice as it would not change the cooling properties all that much rather than distilled water as it would dilute the Engine Ice more.

It looks like the only way to get a full amount of Engine Ice in the system is to waste a bottle or two to do a flush within a flush.

I'll see how it goes when I ride.