F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about changing brake pads?

I just picked up some brake pads and was going to change them, I just had a couple questions.

Do you need to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to change the pads?

If so How do you put the bike on stands to change the pads to keep the brake reservoir parallel you have to have the handle bars turned.

And I dont think you need to but shoul I bleed the brakes?

Thanks,

Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been awhile since i did mine but u dont need to remove the reservoir cap to change the pads. If you dont already i would find a manual online tells you how step by step. Now your fluid is another issue when i first got mine i didnt know how my brakes should feel. if your fluid looks brown almost whiskey ish then i highly recommend replacing it. its not that hard and only takes a few minutes but it is probably the best "mod" i have done to my bike. night and day to the old fluid

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

When I did mine yesterday, I removed the cap and put a bunch of towels around the master just incase I got some over flow. I did the right side of the bike 1st w/ the bike on its side stand. That way I could turn the wheel to the left to keep the reservoir level and see where the fluid level was at easily. I pushed in one side of the brake caliper 1st and then checked fluid level to make sure it wasn't going to over flow. Then I pushed in the other side of the brake caliper and checked for over flow. After that I installed the new pads and put it back together. After it was back on the bike I pumped the brakes a few times till I got pressure while keeping a close eye on the master so I didn't run out of brake fluid. I did the left side of the bike the same way. It was a little awkward to work on but it didn't take as long since I knew what needed to be done after just finishing the right side of the bike.

Moses

Last edited by WiSH2oo0; 10-26-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes pull the cap. If you've added fluid since the pads were new then you will have too much and some will need to come out.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had to remove the res cap or bleed em when changing pads. But like said if fluid has bee added since the last pad change it prolly will have too much in it n need some taken out.

Bleeding the brakes will depend in the feel, if they feel squishy, then bleed em.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM

I'd suggest changing the fluid since you're doing the brakes anyways.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
I'd suggest changing the fluid since you're doing the brakes anyways.
I have never done my brakes on anything before not because Im mechanically incompetent but because my neighbor was a mechanic and he would do it for a beer on weekends.
But can I just drain all the fluid then change the pads then then fill it all back up and bleed it?
Or is there an order I should do things?

Thanks guys

Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 PM

Im pretty sure you should never let your master cylinder go dry. This is my method may not be the best but it works. you will need either 3/8 or 1/4 inch clear tubing, pretty cheap at lowes. attach one end to the nipple on your brakes and the other end submersed into a clear bottle with some brake fluid already in it. With your reservoir cap off and the nipple open squeeze the brakes and pump the old fluid into the bottle then close the valve and release the brake lever otherwise it will suck the old fluid back up. then repeat till the fluid is all clear helps to have another hand.. like i said there maybe better ways with specific tools but thats the way and it worked for me

Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Heres a link to the video I watched before I did my old F3. I had my bro help me and it didn't take long at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxcQzhgJLU

Moses

Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM

I'm a mechanical moron, and I was able to do it.

Quick Reply: Question about changing brake pads?