F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

propping up rear tire? (sprocket/chain)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default propping up rear tire? (sprocket/chain)

well my chain fell off in the middle of a busy roadway yesterday, then i pushed the bitch by myself 2 miles to my friends house

but long story short, ima buy a new chain and front sprocket, i was just wondering what yall guys use to prop up the bike so i can take my back tire off. a stand is a lil expensive for the amount of money i have right now, has anyone every used regular jack stands?

and also the guy was tryin to get me a 520 chain, but i gotta take 3 links off and i dont have a chainbreak so anyone have some suggestions?

im not payin honda $102 to replace my **** that i could do myself, cuz theyre gonna have to keep my bike for atleast 3 days they told me

Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: propping up rear tire? (sprocket/chain)

you can't only take 3 links off, it has to be even number of links total and the come in even numbers.

yea you can try jackstands if you can get it to work under the swingarm. one on each side towards the front or right under your rearsets...not the pegs cause they fold up.

you can use dremel instead of chain breaker....if you plan on getting a rivet master link then you'll need a chain press.

DID chain only!!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Ok, so you lost a chain with no damage. You are LUCKY. What normally happens is it destroys your crankcase, bodywork and can take your leg off.

1. Jackstands work fine to support the rear.
2. You don't need to remove the wheel to replace the chain, only if you are replacing the rear sprocket.
3. You will need to cut the chain to length.
4. DO NOT buy a 520. If you do you will have to replace BOTH sprockets. 520's don't do anything for street riders and will strech faster than a 525.
5. DO NOT buy a clip on master link. They will fail on a sportbike and you will probably not be as lucky the second time around.

Buy a DID 525 X-ring with a rivet on master link and a chain breaker/rivet tool. If your sprockets are worn, replace them or they will wear out the chain.

This is one job you don't want to half-*** if you like walking.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:29 PM

well without a stand and a chainbraker/link riviter your kinda screwed those are two somewhat neccicery items.
you have to get the breaker/riviter tool you may be able to get the rear wheel off the ground with a ratchet strap and something strong.
really wouldnt trust anything else..

Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

Ok, so you lost a chain with no damage. You are LUCKY. What normally happens is it destroys your crankcase, bodywork and can take your leg off.
It's why bikes come with chainguards. Seems like this rider was smart enough to bypass the Bling of going without one.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM

well the chain popped at very low rpm... at about 15 or 20mph

i was actually poppin the clutch to do a wheelie... then it just reved up, i was like what the duece?

turns out im just gonna wait.... im gettin a 525 reg o-ring chain... not sure if it was the DID but i think it was

when i have the money ima go -1 up front and get the gold DID 525 xring in another 4k or so

ima keep the same sprocket for now... the teeth look just fine on it, i think the chain snapped from my neglect

Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 PM

So while we are on the topic of chains what is the average timeframe that you would need to replace under normal street use? Just curious as I have about 9500 miles on my bike.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 PM

all i know is i dont see how that pos plastic chain guard can proteck you against a chain snapping at 10k+ rpms. I would imagine that **** would shatter or just completly get ripped off. I always thought the chain guard kept anything from getting stuck or flinging grease and what not onto the bike...I take mine off...=\ been good for 3 years+

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM

I know everyone praises the DID chain, but i got the -1 front, +2 rear vortex sprockets, RK XSO chain for $149.99, also got the motion pro tool for $85 to my door today in less than 3 days. Have not installed yet but will be doing this weekend, so i can't give you my opnion on the chain but it does use the X-ring instead of the O-ring, and it has a 20,000 mile warranty on the chain.
I noticed a lot of ppl didnt like the company that i got them from but i ordered from them anyways and they were nothing but nice, no complaints here especially for $149.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 AM

I like DID and RK myself. Both are good chains.

Quick Reply: propping up rear tire? (sprocket/chain)