F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Problem with fuel level indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with fuel level indicator?

OK so I took a trip this weekend (320 miles each way) and I think there is a slight problem with my fuel indicator. Let me see if I can explain this...

According to the manual, the amount of gas left in the tank once the fuel reserve indicator comes on is 0.92 gallons right? So essentially whenever all the bars are blinking, you're almost out of gas? Well a few times I filled up when the all the bars were blinking, and I only put in between 3.7 and 4.01 gallons. The last time I rode with all 4 bars blinking for about 10 miles, and I only put 4 gallons in. Is there something I'm missing here or is my gauge not working properly?

Oh and for anyone who was wondering, the higher your average speed, the worse your gas mileage gets hahah Normally I get average 40-41 mpg but on the highway at an average speed of 80 (actual) I got 38 mpg and with an average speed of 90 I got 35mpg.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Problem with fuel level indicator?

So let me get this right? The faster you go, the worse your gas mileage is? I am not really seeing your question. Your saying that when you filled it up, you put in 4 gallons of gas and your assuming there is .8 gallons left, but you didn't get the correct miles to the tank? Well, thats not really an accurate reading for your mileage. If you drive at 12,000 rpms, you would probably get maybe 1 or 2 miles, the 2002 F4i that I have, rates a 4.8 gallon tank. How your drive it, and how much mileage you get is up to your driving habits. Shift out to 5th or 6th gear and ride around at 2 or 3 K and you will see a difference.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
BB

ORIGINAL: Spike

OK so I took a trip this weekend (320 miles each way) and I think there is a slight problem with my fuel indicator. Let me see if I can explain this...

According to the manual, the amount of gas left in the tank once the fuel reserve indicator comes on is 0.92 gallons right? So essentially whenever all the bars are blinking, you're almost out of gas? Well a few times I filled up when the all the bars were blinking, and I only put in between 3.7 and 4.01 gallons. The last time I rode with all 4 bars blinking for about 10 miles, and I only put 4 gallons in. Is there something I'm missing here or is my gauge not working properly?
No, your indicator is fine. I've ridden about 10 miles after no bars were left on the gauge and still haven't putclose to what the owner's manual says the tank will hold.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 AM

I was wondering the same thing today as well. all bars were flashing, and I was out in the boonies, sweating thinking I wasnt going to find a gas station.
finally found one, after riding atleast10 miles with all bars flashing. I put in 3.6g, it was all it would hold. left me scratching my head?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 AM

See, MAYBE what the manual means is that once ALL bars are flashing, you're supposed to have 0.92 gallons left??? And you probably have more than that, but that's what they say in the manual so that people don't run out of gas? I dunno maybe just a thought.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:33 AM

I am guessing if you don't fill you tank when the bars show and you have to push your bike to the next gas station your a dumbass anyways. It only costs bout 10 bucks to fill it up anyways. Kawasaki has a fuel on off and a reserve switch on them, Honda does not, but we have the fuel indicator on the LCD.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

I am guessing if you don't fill you tank when the bars show and you have to push your bike to the next gas station your a dumbass anyways. It only costs bout 10 bucks to fill it up anyways. Kawasaki has a fuel on off and a reserve switch on them, Honda does not, but we have the fuel indicator on the LCD.
Uhhhhhh so if you are riding in an unfamiliar place and you don't realize that there isn't an exit for 40 miles and you run out of gas then I guess you're a dumbass right? I HIGHLY doubt that people don't fill up and run out of gas because of the COST dude.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:13 AM

Sorry bout that...didn't realize you were riding all highway miles. Typically the F4i can get up to 50 mpg in 6th gear averaging 65 mph.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 AM

Spike, once that thing starts flashing then you have .9(.92 no difference) of a gallon left. So, if you are running an average of 38 mpg, then you are able to do about 34 miles on the reserve. Since you said you ran additional 10 miles, that mean that you still had about 24 miles to go and roughly more than half a gallon left. Hence, with your half a gallon and the four you put it, you pretty much top of the entire 4.5+g tank. Which is for most part correct.

Now, I think you are thrown off by the indicator. Just note that once its start to blink, keep in mind that you have 30miles left (just to be safe). Gas gauges are not the most accurate tools. They are cheap and because of the constant changing envirnment in the tank its difficult to have and accurate reading(especially when you ride).

Old 04-02-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I understand it now, I guess before I just assumed that all 4 bars represented ALL of your reserve, not a countdown to WHEN your reserve STARTS.

Stephens, I get an average of 41mpg and I think the best I've ever gotten was like 45 or something like that. I can check my spreadsheet where I keep track.... Woah, I guess at some point I got 52, I have NO idea why haha, a couple 47's and a 44, but most are 41 or 40. I have a -1 front sprocket and a slipon.

Quick Reply: Problem with fuel level indicator?