F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Please help! Gauges out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Gauges out!

somebody please help me!

2 days ago I had changed my oil...using mobil 1 oil and filter... and the day after i started riding for about 5 mins... and on the highway my speedometer, tachometer, and temperature reading went out... but my clock was still on...so it looked like my bike was off...but i was in the middle of riding it... today i replaced the fuse...and when i turned the key to on it turned on and burnt out immediately... i tried putting a 20amp fuse in...and it worked...but when i turned around...it was smoking like crazy!! dumb move...haha but its because i did something like that for a car before and it worked...does anyone know what this could possibly be and how i could fix it?? I dont know much about wiring or anything...so if i take this somewhere to get it looked at...where would i take it? and how much would it be?? thanks for any help!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Please help! Gauges out!

Def sounds like a short somewhere or an exposed wire touching another wire. Try to follow the gauge wire to the ecu and see what you find.

When it comes to a shop fixing electrical problems it can be very pricey....even when its an easy fix....it is best to do it yourself (if you know what your doing and know you wont mess anything up further)

*Try to trouble shoot it in the manual if you know you didnt do something to cause the problem

Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the smoke!

Jiggle harnesses, find any rubbing points, any prior accidents on it that someone may have routed wires incorrectly?

Looking at the wiring diagram, I'd start in the trunk around the tail light - seems like those wires can easily get pinched, are very thin, and could easily short out - Unplug your License light connector, pull your taillight bulbs, and see if you keep popping fuses...

Speed sensor is on that circuit, Running lights (any mods to running lights, try turning signal right - try fuse, left - try fuse to disengage the running light part), That's about all the places the wires go to...

Jiggle any wire you can find - the short should become obvious, and NEVER replace a fuse with a higher amp - you'll burn up the harness and be stuck with a $100+ rewire instead of a nickels' worth of electrical tape .

Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a multimeter if ya dont have one. simple radioshack one will do! then start debuggung

Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 PM

thanks alot for the help guys! i fixed the problem and would not have been able to do it without you guys' help. the wire to the license plate light got pinched somehow and i took it out and taped it up and everything was working again...but....haha...remember how i said that i put in that 20A fuse...and it started smoking like crazy??...yeahhh i found out what was smoking....it was the wire for the license plate light...alll the way up to inside the trunk....all the rubber/plastic black thing around the wire all the way up was fried....some parts worse then others...but mostly still covered...i put some electrical tape along the whole wire to add some protection...do you guys think it'll be ok like that? =\

thanks for all the help! i love this forum