F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!

i bought a 2001 cbr 600 f4i in january. the kid stunted it so it was crappy. it is my first bike. i have replaced fairings and outside stuff. it has had issues but all of them we have fixed to this point. a few weeks ago, i was driving around and my horn somehow fell off. i ate lunch some where and then came back it started up. then after going to a friends house, it wouldn't start up. a friend took a look at it and said the headlight connection came loose. it started right up. i went up to get it and it started up. turned it off to roll it backward and into the street and wouldn't start.

guy from church came and picked it up and charged the battery and it started right up. i picked it up and drove it home last night and it was fine. then this morning i went to take it out drove it around went back home really quick and stopped by the store. turned it off when i went in the store. came back out and it wouldn't start. it sounds like the battery is good. the red light on the dashboard to the left of the neutral light stays on. it sounds like the pump is being primed but i guess i could be wrong. there is gas in the tank and i checked the plugs and it looks like everything is good. but i don't know what the red light is for?

thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Default RE: please help!

Is that red light on when the bike is idleing? If so that is the low oil light (I believe) if that is the case check your oil level and add any if necessary. When the bike is off but the key is in the ON position that red light will stay on (normal).

I wonder if the horn falling off somehow is draining the battery? Could be the case.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM

That red light is not oil level,

That light is for oil pressure, so when the bike is on there should be enough oil pressure so that light turns off.

If it wont start it can only be one of 3 problems. Igition, Fuel or Spark..
Does the bike turn over? Do you hear any firing at all? Do you smell fuel when it turns over?
If so its spark. If you dont then most likely its a fuel related issue.
A common problem is the FPR but i am not sure if its the same symptoms as you.

let me know if there are any advancements.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 AM

it sounds like it is trying to turn over. there is gas in the tank. the red light usually went off, it isn't now.

as far as turning over i think so... it is does everything but start. i don't smell fuel but i don't know if i have ever smelled fuel... should i? if it is spark, would i just need to change the spark plugs then?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM

My mistake on the level/pressure light.

Sounds like spark, I would check eay stuff like wires. Not familiar with a bikes ignition system, but on a car I would check grounds, coil packs, and battery.

Charge the battery up again and see if it fires, if so I think something is draining your battery. Ride the bike for a good 45 minutes (make sure to really get on it a few times) hopefully it was just a charging prob with the battery. Im a totally rookie with these bikes, but just trying to help by applying some automobile knowledge.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM

If it was stunted as you mentionedit could have various problems with the wiring harness. Particularly in the front cowl. Maybe a short in the wires of the tip sensor or a short somewhere else. Depending on how much it was stunted the front end could have been removed/replaced/damaged/messed with...... not to dis this forum cause it is a great but some of the dedicated stunter forums are full of good info if your problem persists. Those guys keep some real P.O.S. bikes running with problems similar to yours.

Trueprevious post- that if you are making short trips on a weak battery those short trips are not enough to charge it.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 PM

I know i sound like a broken record here, but again to isolate a battery problem simply hook jumper cables up to your car and see if the problem disappears. If your bike starts then its the battery or potentially a faulty charging system.

I must say i'd be ecstatic if at least one battery company could actually make a decent motorcycle battery. honestly they really are terrible, and are the problem most of the time.

As for ignition, the bike has 4 individual coils all fired directly from the ecu. If a plug was bad, or wiring was the issue the bike would run poorly, but it would run.

As for fuel, when you turn on the ignition system you should hear the fuel pump turn strongly inside the tank. You can usually diagnose a fuel delivery issue by the sound of that pump. If it is weak, chattery, or makes grinding noises you may not be getting fuel. Only way to know for sure is to actually pressure check the system.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 PM

The motor was turning over but did not want to start. can that happen if the batter is fine?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM

mine has a pretty much the same problem. and it's the headlight harness connector. i just have to wiggle it a bit thru the fairing and it'll correct itself. mine will cut out going down the road some times.

do almost all your cluster lights come on when this is happening? both turn sigs, oil press, and f1?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM

i don't know off the top of my head. i can check. i know the first time it wouldn't start it was because the headlight connection was sorry but then i double checked it and it seemed connected.