F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

planning a CBR inverted fork conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: planning a CBR inverted fork conversion.

the ones who do the conversions are not track superstars or anything for that manner but just guys who ride on streets, to starbucks, etc...they are not going to tell you that it rides any different only because they do not ride the bike as it was designed to do. i suppose if you're monkeying around on the streets then it wouldn't matter how much of a hybrid you have.

you may be a mechanic but you are not an engineer...
if you're looking for something other than 'being different' or looks...but true functionality, then you would opt for the front end suspension rebuild...period. you swap the front end, not only do you have an essential part of the back that's not designed to work with the rest, you still have the same crappy internals.

i know of guys who have done front end swaps, rear swaps, etc...the bike rides 'fine'...so if you're looking for fine, the do so...if you want something truly functional, start with the suspension rebuild, MC swap to brembo, etc. otherwise, don't come in here getting offended when you say that your purpose is functionality when there are much better and cheaper ways to go about it.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the guy use his ingenuity. It's HIS bike and HIS money. Many good inventions were accidents. Maybe he'll stumble onto something.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM

should probably PM uncle_jeff from the 'other' cbr forum...he's done the conversion...i'm sure he'll gladly share his information with you.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your'e right about the monkeying around on the street thing with people that build custom bikes for looks. that is the opposite of what i have in mind. most of the plastics on my bike right now need to be replaced because i bought it off a fat kid that dumped it and i don't plan on replacing them any time soon because it's only cosmetics. i like the experience of riding the turns. I'm kind of torn right now between fixing the cosemetics and saving up tobuy a newer bike with updated handling and features,ortrying to redothe f4i to get the most out of it. in the long run working on the f4i would be a hell of a learning experience that i could only get from first hand experience like this, and it would pay off on future projects as well. But, if i got a newer bike i'd have more to start with. i mean, after allmy bike was dumped. pushing a bike that has been dumped throughthe turns kindof makes me feel like im raw ******* a prostitute; you never know what's going to come out of it. assuming there is no serious change to the structural integrity of the bike, i'd have to buy rear sets, clip-ons, a damper, and rebuild the fork internals just as a start, and i'd still have an older bike. i'll look more into options for rebuilding the forks and getting better tires before i do anything.. the kid i got it from put cheapo shinko stealth 003s on it. the back tire hooks up super nice for starts and feels pretty solid once it's hot but the front tire feels like it's skimming acrossed the surface when i turn-in andwhen the road surface isn't perfect in high speed turns.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

It sounds like you want an RR. Sell your bike and buy one, it is safer and easier, let Honda do the engineering.
WOW, I am sorry I made that comment. It just seems like he wanted to reinvent the wheel and it just seemed like I was telling him he wanted a wheel, the cheapest and best way to get a wheel is to buy one that already exists. As an engineer, I tend to respect other engineers work, the thought of simply swapping parts for the sake of making something different seems kinda dumb, especially when the finished product won't work as well as either donor cycle would. It is kinda like smelling your own farts, just because you can do, it doesn't mean you should.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Err

front ends that fit on a f4i are 929/954, 1000rr and 600rr, and rc51.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 PM

if you want an inverted conversion...find a 929 front end...will bolt straight up...954 the only differnce is it uses tapered rollers instead of reg bearing which are better soo its worth it...1000rr will also bolt straight up...you wont be able to use your calipers the 1000rr are radial mount...there...i have done the conversions a few times...ooh and rc front end will work also

Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 AM

don't ever listen to guys who trek out of the stunna forum to post...have you ever seen their bikes?
direct bolt on = only duct tape necessary.
major work = 5+ industrial sized rolls of duct tape necessary...

MUAHAHHAHAHAHA...

SUP ERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haven't harrassed you in awhile! ever get them SS lines to work? muahahahahha

Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM

yea. this is pissing me off so i think i'm going to just sell the bike in the spring and see what i can get for it. hopefully i'll be able to get enough $$ from my grants/scholarships to get an "educational" R1. sat on the same model of my old bike ('05 GSXR750) last night.. ugh. the heartbreak to see your first love with another man. with the tires not even scrubbed in for that matter. i didn't realize how low the clipons are on that bike until i got used to riding an F4i.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 PM

alright! finally making sense.
good luck to you, i hope that you get the yama mami!