F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

PC3 or electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC3 or electrical problem?

Hi guys,
I am new here, let me first take a second to introduce myself. My name is Jason, I am from north Jersey, I own a 2001 cbr600 F4i. I picked up a few weeks ago. This is my first bike. I have been working on cars pretty much for the past 6-7 years. But totally new to bikes.

Now the problem at hand. Last night I had a great ride back. I parked the bike in the garage. Left it. This morning when i went to get on the bike. i put to key to on. The front headlamp would not turn on. and neither would the fuel pump everything else was fine. The starter started up fine, the engine turned over. Just no gas. So i look in the back. I see that my PC3 isn't booting up at all.
I measure my battery its at 12.45 volts which is normal Amps not sure how many. I use a battery pack to see if it might still be the battery. I put it up to the battery tender leads. And nothing happens. Same thing. So i take out the battery to run it stright off the pack see of it makes a difference. Still nothing. I wait two minutes to get my laptop and hook it up to the PC3. Laptop says PC3 is not communicating. As soon as i unplug the usb cable to my laptop. I hear the fuel pump start and the headlamp turn on. Then the bike starts up..

Now Is this a common problem for Pc3's to fail? or is this a bike problem. Or some what other interminably problem. There used to be a Serial PC3 on this bike last week that had a really crappy fuel map on it. But i couldn't update it so i just bought a 2nd hand PC3 off of a local guy so i could use the USB support to update it.

Does any know what this could be? I am a little worried because i dont want get caught in the middle of the road when my Fuel pump stops and my engine shuts off.

any insight would be great
thanks
Jason

Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PC3 or electrical problem?

Off-hand, your pc3 shouldn't affect your headlamp... it must be a loose ground wire or some such. The PC3 not responding to USB might be a symptom rather than cause, since it needs power from the bike even when plugged in to USB.
It's really wierd that the fuel pump would prime and the headlight wouldn't light, temporarily... maybe one of the fuse wires is loose?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and 12.45V seems decent. It should be over 12. Below 12 and the battery needs tending! If the bike's running it should be around 14V.

There's a ground wire from the PC3 to the battery negative lead... have you hooked that up properly?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM

yes thanks for the reply
It is hooked up properly The battery has the screw at top. like most do and its screwed in tightly the PC3 normally gets power its just this morning. The headlamp i am not so sure. Could be conscience, because the HIDs i have have been suffering from ballast failure. I need to get new ones soon.

once again the pc3 has been hooked up properly everything is clicked in solid and the bike has been running for a few days. Maybe i'll check the fuse wires!

thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Well after checking the fuse wires everything still seems to be okay no loose connections or anything i can keep the bike running and still move all the wires with it still running. I am still stumped as to what could have caused this.....