F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

pc & throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pc & throttle response

Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if I should get the pcIII for my completely stock (for now) f4i. I don't want this for any performance gains, however what I would like to get rid of is the jerkiness of the throttle response - e.g. when i'm riding at low speed, maybe say 5mph, and i just _slightly_ increase the throttle, the bike will jerk about some and start accelerating. The same with rolling off the throttle at low speeds. I read that the pc improves the throttle reponse - is this what this means? I will get rid of this jerkiness?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Default RE: pc & throttle response

IMO its worth it, especially if you're gonna upgrade the exhaust later.Iran a Yosh RS3 slip on with and without a PCIII and having it in theremade a HUGE improvement in throttle response. Also make sure your throttle free play is adjusted.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

Yup, it's worth it......or at least to me it was. I'm not a big fan of coming around an apex and feeding in the throttle only to get 80% when I wanted 50%.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I had that problem when I just had 2bros can alone. I put pciii on lbefore last season and was very happy.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM

"....when i'm riding at low speed, maybe say 5mph, and i just _slightly_ increase the throttle, the bike will jerk about some and start accelerating. The same with rolling off the throttle at low speeds"

What you really need to do is learn how to use the clutch and the throttle properly (and simultaneously). It's all a matter of techique. I think that most complaints you hear about throttle "jerkiness" are really just inexperienced riding technique. The throttle's never gonna react well if your clutch is all the way out and you're lugging at 5 miles/hour. At this point you should be accellerating and just releasing the clutch. Same thing when you roll off the throttle. You're always working the clutch (maybe just a tiny bit) to buffer the abrupt changes in throttle. I think most of us do this sub-consiously without even realizing it. I rarely ever notice any jerkiness unless i'm really sloppy with my clutch hand.

While the PCIII might overcome these shortcomings in technique by artificially changing the fuel/air mixture curve, that's not the real problem. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to get a PCIII is to electronically "up-jet" when you install an exhaust system (not usually a slip- on) which requires more fuel to mix with the increased air flow into the combustion mixture.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM

thanks amnesia
this is exactly what i thought, nice to have some confirmation from a more experienced rider.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: amnesia

"....when i'm riding at low speed, maybe say 5mph, and i just _slightly_ increase the throttle, the bike will jerk about some and start accelerating. The same with rolling off the throttle at low speeds"

What you really need to do is learn how to use the clutch and the throttle properly (and simultaneously). It's all a matter of techique. I think that most complaints you hear about throttle "jerkiness" are really just inexperienced riding technique. The throttle's never gonna react well if your clutch is all the way out and you're lugging at 5 miles/hour. At this point you should be accellerating and just releasing the clutch. Same thing when you roll off the throttle. You're always working the clutch (maybe just a tiny bit) to buffer the abrupt changes in throttle. I think most of us do this sub-consiously without even realizing it. I rarely ever notice any jerkiness unless i'm really sloppy with my clutch hand.
Thats probably true in some cases but I've been riding bikes 30+ years and I still say the F4i has abrupt on/off throttle transition. I noticed it the very first time I rode the bike and it drove me crazy until I got a PCIII. Also noticed it quite a bit mid corner when going from off to on.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM

I agree, the F4i does have an abrupt on/off transition, and it really becomesunnerving when fully leaned over trying to balance the weight transition.

the pc will fix this

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM

being one of the first FI bikes.....all this could be true....I can't tell you to be sure b/c mine came with a PC3....all I can tell you is that I read the F4i was rated good for smoothness with the throttle when it first came out....but that was a while ago, lol.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 AM

A Power Commander will smooth your power curve if thats what you want, but dont expect much from it if you just download a map for your exhaust system. Good results are more likely if you take it to a tuner for dyno work, that cost me $250. We went over the curves and the generic map didnt really perform well on my bike. For the record, my '05 f4i ran 95.9 hp and 40.6 ft-lbs.

Quick Reply: pc & throttle response