F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Panniers for my F4i... Question...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each their own! Lets agree to disagree. Maybe we can even have this thread cleaned up and put back on topic. Sorry for the hijacking Tom

Old 12-26-2010, 04:11 PM

Haha,

No worries jp. I don't think many people on here ride with panniers from the response I've got hehe. I guess I will have to play it by ear and use a little guess work. I really would like some lockable bags but I think they will be expensive. I suppose I could put padlocks on the zippers. But It's not ideal...

Old 12-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

I have the SW-Motech racks that themselves are quick detachable. They are awesome. They run about $200+ the price of your cases. They have adapters to fit just about any case and sometimes you can find some cheap on eBay. I went ahead and bought the Givi e21's ($200) which are a perfect match for the bike, but will not fit a helmet.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 PM

thanks for the reply. I wont be travelling far/often so I dont wanna spend £300 + on luggage. I might just see how i get on with cheap textile bags.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Hey Woody, I use my bike as primary transportation all summer here in Canada. I have a fairly good hiking backpack that I can seriously load up. I can carry at least two tennis racquets, extra shoes, shorts, socks, shirt, lunch for work, a few bottles of water, a towel and two packs of tennis *****. It is usually really comfy too. Just a thought, you can get a nice pack fairly cheap too.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 AM

All that in the same bag on one trip? What's it called? I may have to do a little research on it. It sounds good. I especially like the idea of it being a back pack as I can use it for other things too. And since I have to have the pillion behind me, It wont be able to fit on my back when i've got a passenger. There's no guess who will be carrying the backpack haha. Unless I'm riding solo of course.

Oh and will it fit a full face helmet in it?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by woodypk
All that in the same bag on one trip? What's it called? I may have to do a little research on it. It sounds good. I especially like the idea of it being a back pack as I can use it for other things too. And since I have to have the pillion behind me, It wont be able to fit on my back when i've got a passenger. There's no guess who will be carrying the backpack haha. Unless I'm riding solo of course.

Oh and will it fit a full face helmet in it?

All right I just tried,...the helmet wouldn't really go in the hiking pack(without force). I did put it in my regular back pack, which i use all summer as well. When I have all of my stuff with my two racquets in the bag I have to zip it from the left and right up to the middle and interlock the little zipper handles. It works great for me, I probably did 5000km last summer with a pack on my back.....the hiking one was a high sierra.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Default Top Box + Sports Rack (Renntec UK) for F4i (non grab rail version)

Hi everyone,

Just thought you may find my latest luggage gear helpful ...

After happily using a generic supermarket tail bag for the past year which wrapped very neatly around my F4i seat and rear tail, I finally found a top box and rack combination of the same brand that was worth buying, as I was tired of not being able to leave my helmet with the bike securely. I also did not want to spend exorbitant amounts for a Ventura rack and then try to fit a Givi or other top box on the Ventura rack.

Anyway, what I bought .... see attached picture for the Renntec Sports Rack I have installed, and the corresponding top box that was not Renntec but was supplied by Renntec. They (Renntec) did caution the rack was designed to only carry a maximum of 2.5kg (5.5lbs), as the bike's fairing may not be strong enough to withstand big weights. However, I can confirm in the case of the F4i, none of the rack actually locks onto the fairing but rather onto the frame of the bike, so I suspect you'll be able to load up the rack a bit more.

Not having owned or used a Givi box before I suspect the mounting plate of this Renntec cheapie box is not as anywhere near as clean or well designed as the Givi's, but with the two U-brackets supplied, the plate locks onto the rack quite well, so long as there is careful trial and error and especially common sense exercised when locking it to the rack.

Once the plate has been secured onto the rack, the box easily slots into place, secured to the mounting plate from the inside by a bottom hand-twist screw. When installed, the box does "overhang" the rack a bit towards the back, but it's more to do with the rack being a small sports rack than anything untoward; the box still locks on tight. Overall, a good simple solid design.

I've just done a short 30min city ride with it - the whole rack and top box setup is quite rigid even after the ride, which is a good sign.

I ended up paying about £200 including postage to Australia - with both the Aussie and US$ at present being similar in value, I suspect the whole rack and box will cost just over US$300 delivered to the States (this the Aust $ value it cost me).

The links:

Part number(s): REN7259B
Description(s): Honda CBR600 FS-1 FS-2 Sports Rack / Carrier in Black
Honda CBR600 FS1 FS2 Sports Rack / Carrier From Renntec

Part number(s): RENTOPBOX
Description(s): Top Box
TECH -26- 26 Litre Top Box / Top Case From Renntec

I hope this info helps, because I'm so pleased I found a top box / rack combo that finally worked, at a decent price ...

Plus as a final bonus, my soft side panniers still fit over the back seat, so I'm no longer short on luggage space for my next long trip ... and I get to lock my helmet up with the bike in the top box! Woo hoo ...

Originally Posted by woodypk
Hey guys, I'm looking to get some cheap and cheerful panniers for my F4i.

I don't have the bike yet but im getting all ready for when it arrives.

I'm not going to be using these for hardcore touring, but rather for some extra luggage space when I take the occasional 150 mile journey down the country to see relatives and for random days out when I need room for a picnic blanket and sandwiches etc etc.

I like the look of the Oxford First Time panniers, and think they are a good price (£35) for some casual carrying capabilities. They expand up to 48 litres and look decent enough for throw-overs.

Do you guys think these will hold a helmet when expanded (24 liters each) so I could just store a spare helmet when going to meet Mrs from college?

Any other recommendations for me to have a browse for are welcome...

Thoughts everyone?

And while I'm here I'll post up a new pic of my baby bike while I'm posting hehe.

Cheers, Tom.

Attached Thumbnails Panniers for my F4i... Question...!-img_20110519_120206-norego.jpg   Panniers for my F4i... Question...!-img_20110519_120341.jpg   Panniers for my F4i... Question...!-img_20110519_120534.jpg  

Last edited by aranciata-oz; 05-18-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Two more piccies ...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 AM

wow there are a lot of lights on that one. No lack of visibility factor there.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Nah, you can never have too many lights .....

Seriously though, I commute once a week in city traffic, it's bad enough cars don't notice bikes, I'm happy to be a moving Christmas tree for all I care ... if anything my blinkers aren't really that visible in bright sunlight (despite them being incandescent and not LED), so I'll be sticking some long strip LED's on the box on each side to see if that helps ...

Quick Reply: Panniers for my F4i... Question...!