F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Painting questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
Check out this set of videos on painting.
I've actually encountered that very video with the makeshift booth during my many searches for info. Clever idea.
I've got some plastic sheets and I'll probably be spraying in a ground-level storage room that I have (there is a door at the front and back as well as a window so it gets ventilated pretty well when it's all open. I'm planning to cover the room in plastic sheets a-la Dexter. I don't have any rafters or hooks on the ceiling so I'll probably suspend the pieces using a ladder and a broom handle or some such contraption.
I've also seen suggestions to make the floor wet to trap dust, I'm not sure that I'll do that though. Thoughts?

[...] I can say that one can of 2k is not enough. [...]
Good to know.
The one can of 2K is for the tank alone (the rest of the bike will be getting the Krylon clear which I have ~5 cans of currently) but if I understand you correctly you know this and you're saying that this one can will probably not be enough for the tank. How many cans of the 2K would you suggest for the tank? I want to make sure I have enough but I have to mail order that stuff, it's expensive, and it's one-time-use so I want to make sure I don't get too much either.

A good wet sand with soapy water and using hand pressure. you don't want to take down your base coat and make it wavy.
Do you think there's anything to the sponge idea?

I know I used a fair number of cans of paint, 5-8 i think for the base.
Did you do a solid color? If so and it required 5-8 cans, then I'm probably in decent shape for the color coats: I have 5 cans for the side fairings and another 5 cans for the upper, tank, and tail to share.

I used Plasti-coat. I would not do it again.
I'm curious: what specifically were you not pleased with? I hear that it's a bit of a tacky textured feel which not everybody cares for.
I think I'll leave this as a backup option in case the lesson I learn out of this adventure is that I'm not capable of painting.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is "build up"? I'm assuming that's where the paint has been applied thicker in some areas than in others leading to darker and/or physically uneven high or low spots?
I've seen videos of professionals spraying with pro equipment and even I noticed the large difference in pattern that the pro gun sprays (a long narrow fan) versus a rattle can (somewhat of a circle).

A few more silly questions:
- Should I spray the insides of the pieces such as the back-side of the fairings as well? They're mostly not visible of course but does it maybe impact the rest of the paint or primer's ability to adhere over time if there isn't at least a light coat on the back? Would the back also need to be cleared?
- When I remove the tank, should I also remove the fuel pump from the tank or just mask it off with tape and plastic to protect it from paint?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer some of your questions:

When I sprayed, I just sprayed in my garage, I had one of those movable clothes hanger racks, and used my garage door to suspend some pieces too.
I wasn't as concerned about dust, since I was wet sanding every layer anyhow.

As for build up, what i mean is when you use a spray can, they can easily build up in sections like corners or edges, mainly due to over spray. The problem is that when you wet sand, you need to work more to bring these areas down without cutting into the primer coat.

My comment towards using plasticoat as a product for the bike is this. It has no hardener, it stays tacky and soft. you pressure from a finger nail is enough to leave an impression. This is within the curing cycle for the paint, which was long. I'm not sure about krylon. You want a durable surface to take some beating that's for sure.

The spray pattern was a fan on the plasticoat. You want to stay away from the circle spray pattern. It will be more work to get an even couple coats.

Usually with a fan tipped sprayer, you can rotate the nozels tip to spray in the direction you prefer.

As for the 2k on your tank, two cans would be fine, one can may be enough. The gloss finish on the 2k and Krylon clear may be a bit different. I've heard people on the forum state the 2k is a much "wetter" looking clear when finished properly.

As for spraying behind the fairings. I would only do the front fairing. the sides are never going to be seen. I did a full primer and base and clear, but no "sparkle". I did not wet sand there either. I was just lazy.

For the tank, My bike is really an F3. im not sure the difference. But all my parts were off the bike when i painted, so i did not need to mask anything on the bike.