F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

painted windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painted windscreen?

ok, windscreen quesions are all over this post, but i was wondering if i could see some pics of a painted windscreen to see if it looks good...thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Default RE: painted windscreen?

Look in my gallary and you can see my windshield. it looks like *** right now cuz it needs to be plastic buffed again, but use rc car bady paint from a hobby store and paint it on the inside (obviously) looks awesome and the rc car body paint holds on to the windshield without having to scuff it like you would have to with normal paint. Of course you cant see thru it...but mines so low, i never could look thru it anyway.
Good luck!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 PM

I have a red memphis shade windscreen on my red f4i . i have no pics yet but i will get one for ya to show u what it looks like

Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM

i painted mine the other day, it looks good for $3 spraypaint...alot cheaper than a $50 tinted...btw, of course you cant see through it, but who tucks that low anyway, unless your cruisin at 140 mph

Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 PM

I have a stock windscreen painted with ford probe black that my buddy painted his car with. You definitely want to paint it on the inside, but I've noticed that after about 2 yrs with the flex on the windscreen there are the smallest air pockets and cracks in the paint starting to show. I mean hard to see unless ur within a few feet of the bike. I can't get low enough to look through it, so being solid black doesn't cause a problem. Check out my pics.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Here are some pics of mine. Painted with gloss black high heat engine paint lol

Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 PM

forget 65 bones, i'm goin ghetto. Spike, your bike is lookin good. how long has your winshield been painted. i'm about to do mine and save some money for a slip-on and pc3. exactly what kind of paint did you use and how is it holding up? also, did you do any prep work on the screen, how many coats did you apply, and did you clear-coat the screen? thanks bro.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 AM

Thanks man, I plan on putting a lot of time and effort into this bike. It gives me a hobby

Paint was Engine Enamel - Gloss Black with a black primer base. I sprayed a couple coats of the black primer on to help the gloss black stick better. No scuffing or anything like that. I masked off the front of the screen so that if any paint went flying around it wouldn't land on the front. DON'T PAINT THE FRONT! Since the screen is clear and glossy, I imagine even if you painted the back of it flat black it would still look glossy because of the clear plastic that's between the onlooker and the paint. Don't necessarily take my word on that, just my opinion lol.

It's been like that for about 2 weeks I suppose, I still need to put some more paint on it (I put several coats but, probably need a couple more.

Now...... I painted my passenger pegs with spray on truck bed liner.... and I'm actually thinking that stuff might be interesting to spray your windscreen with. It sticks really well, is really thick (so it would cover nicely) and is pretty durable. The only problem is that it isn't a glossy black, it's flat, but it might still work... I may finish mine with it. Here is what my pass pegs look like

The paint came off a little where I scuffed it doing stand ups... Oh well.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Spike
I sprayed a couple coats of the black primer on to help the gloss black stick better. No scuffing or anything like that. I masked off the front of the screen so that if any paint went flying around it wouldn't land on the front. DON'T PAINT THE FRONT! Since the screen is clear and glossy, I imagine even if you painted the back of it flat black it would still look glossy because of the clear plastic that's between the onlooker and the paint. Don't necessarily take my word on that, just my opinion lol.
QUICK QUESTION FOR YOU:
Since you painted the back side of the screen but applied the PRIMER FIRST, aren't you just seeing primer from the front now? So technically you did paint it flat black then - at least from the perspective of someone standing in front of your bike. So why bother putting the high gloss on top of that (unless you want to see that from the saddle)?

I just painted mine with a silver metallic RC car paint (no pictures yet)... looks awesome. Hit the screen with a fine grit paper and she was good to go.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Just something to keep in mind before painting your windscreen, and it is pretty obvious but sometimes it is easy to overlook the plain as day stuff. But since your windscreen will now be opaque, you will not be able to do a tank mounted camcorder such as a sportbikecam.com mounted one. I had one on my last bike and am putting one on my F4i as well.

Quick Reply: painted windscreen?