F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

im looking at repainting my bike since i have to fix a crack on the upper cowl and thought i might as well repaint my whole bike. im looking at painting it white because i love the look of white f4i's. but i was just wondering roughly how much does repainting all the fairings cost for those of you who have repainted your bikes?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

tooooo many factors.... best bet would be call someone and get a estimate....

alot of people on here do it their selves or know someone else that can help/do it for them....

do u have anyone u know that paints?
are u looking for just paint/clear/primer costs?
or labor costs? lol need some more info

also are u doing all white? or did u plan on putting a wing decal/wing paint on it?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cbrf4ikid0902
im looking at repainting my bike since i have to fix a crack on the upper cowl and thought i might as well repaint my whole bike. im looking at painting it white because i love the look of white f4i's. but i was just wondering roughly how much does repainting all the fairings cost for those of you who have repainted your bikes?

Well it all depends if you are going to do it yourself or if you are going to take it to a shop. If you end up taking it to a shop take off all of your pieces and bring them into the shop that will cut down the cost quite a bit due to the fact that they will probably charge you at least 5 hours labor for taking and putting the pieces off and the on. I will say that a body shop will probably charge any where from 800 to 2000 depending on what kind of paint you get and what kind of theme you are looking to go for.

If you are going to due it yourself it is not that expensive. I spent around 75 bucks on supplies ie. sandpaper some bondo fiberglass(to repair a crack) and some spot primer. Then it was around 350 bucks for my paint and clear coat. If you dont trust yourself painting the bike then I would deff bring it to a shop but if you do trust yourself and have a spot to paint it then I say go for it. Doing it yourself is half the fun and then you can get full satisfaction of what you did yourself.

This is what my bike looks like after I did my paint job.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  59.9 KB

Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by GBCBRf4iRyder
Well it all depends if you are going to do it yourself or if you are going to take it to a shop. If you end up taking it to a shop take off all of your pieces and bring them into the shop that will cut down the cost quite a bit due to the fact that they will probably charge you at least 5 hours labor for taking and putting the pieces off and the on. I will say that a body shop will probably charge any where from 800 to 2000 depending on what kind of paint you get and what kind of theme you are looking to go for.

If you are going to due it yourself it is not that expensive. I spent around 75 bucks on supplies ie. sandpaper some bondo fiberglass(to repair a crack) and some spot primer. Then it was around 350 bucks for my paint and clear coat. If you dont trust yourself painting the bike then I would deff bring it to a shop but if you do trust yourself and have a spot to paint it then I say go for it. Doing it yourself is half the fun and then you can get full satisfaction of what you did yourself.

This is what my bike looks like after I did my paint job.

+1 here his bike turned out great too... but keep in mind painting a bike isnt a simple challenge if uve never done it before...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

You forgot to factor in the cost of the compressor and gun.

The most expensive shop in my town estimated $1500 for one color. Another shop I've had work done before estimated $750. From the work I've had done the only thing that makes the other shop so much more expensive is reputation...

Ask around. No one on this forum can tell you how much its going to cost. You have to figure that out for yourself.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
+1 here his bike turned out great too... but keep in mind painting a bike isnt a simple challenge if uve never done it before...
Painting a bike is no different than a level 3 model. You just have to have proper prep work.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Painting a bike is no different than a level 3 model. You just have to have proper prep work.
As well ask now how to properly paint using a paint gun <---- its a art that takes time and practice. Not just anyone can pick up a paint gun and and lay down a "Nice" paint job...

prep works only half of it....

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
July 2010 ROTM

teko-what color is your bike im just curious

cbrf4i kid-take it to shops and see what they will do, try the ones that might be starting out and need to get there name out there and they might do you bike to get some pics of it. one did that to me it turned out good, i think. its all personal preference. im pretty sure my paint was less than 500 its candied with a marbalized top coat

Attached Thumbnails Paint-000_0008.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by vangill
teko-what color is your bike im just curious
My bike is still the stock silver/red. Getting ready to either paint it metallic dark charcoal or turn it into a pearl white 848 clone. Learned how to paint plastics in 7th and 8th grade shop class (when it still existed in school). Just don't know if I want to rent the equipment for a weekend or use the aerosol cans from color rite.

Something like this...

Attached Thumbnails Paint-dsc06935.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
As well ask now how to properly paint using a paint gun <---- its a art that takes time and practice. Not just anyone can pick up a paint gun and and lay down a "Nice" paint job...

prep works only half of it....
Are you kidding me? Prep work is 95% of it.

Quick Reply: Paint