F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Out of Curiousity...What is everyones Miles Per Tank??!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Out of Curiousity...What is everyones Miles Per Tank??!!

ORIGINAL: cjr5137

i have a 2006 f4i also run 94 octane in the bike and u might see better gas millage as well.
Not true, the F4i was designed to use 87. The use of anything higher on a stock bike is just a waste of money and power. The higher the octain rating, the cooler and slower the gas burns to put it simply. You will see better gas milage if you use the lowest octain you can due to it burning more efficently. Just keep filling up with regular...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 AM

I know, I know, its a beat topic, but I'm new to forum and was glad to see post so I can state my obs. I am amazed at the diff I get between Hwy 45-50 mpg / City 30-35. I no longer use the my 02 for commuts less I'm going riding after work but for a weekend ride on the hwy the mpg is pretty decent.
PSI use my wifes 250 Ninja for commut, 60 mpg city.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Gasoline pumps typically post octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94. High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand, a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage.
WHITE99GT- I have to disagree with you there. Cars have for a long time had an anti-knock sensor (or is it justa knock sensor). At any rate, by the time, you've overcome the car's electronic ability to dampen the knock, damage is occuring. I don't know if there's a knock sensor in motorcycles so I can't speak about it.

Otherwise, I'd agree with your advice on using the lowest octane rating recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Gasoline pumps typically post octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94. High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand, a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage.
WHITE99GT- I have to disagree with you there. Cars have for a long time had an anti-knock sensor (or is it justa knock sensor). At any rate, by the time, you've overcome the car's electronic ability to dampen the knock, damage is occuring. I don't know if there's a knock sensor in motorcycles so I can't speak about it.

Otherwise, I'd agree with your advice on using the lowest octane rating recommended by the manufacturer.
Actually only SOME cars come with a knock sensor.Not every car made has one.Even those with knock sensors can still get ping .I know i been turning wrenches for 18+years.Just because it has a slight ping doesnt mean its doing harm.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Which is 87 for the F4i and at least the 03-06 RR, not sure about the 07 up RR, but if I had to take a guess, I would say it would be 87 as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 PM

when i bought my f4i in 06 from the dealer the said to run 92 and higher in it

Old 03-23-2008, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: f4ez

They were wrong..

Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: f4ez

They were wrong..
Yes they were....

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who are you gonna believe, the CBRFORUM or your silly dealer?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I'm still gonna run 92-93, regardless of whether or not it has any added benefits. The bike is used to it, and at $12/tank I don't really care.

Quick Reply: Out of Curiousity...What is everyones Miles Per Tank??!!