F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

O2 Sensor and Full Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor and Full Exhaust

I have not had time to look around and mess with anything yet, but I am trying to do some research on my "new" bike when I get the time. I have an '01 F4i and it is coming with a full Mircon exhaust that is not currently put on. Does the F4i have an O2 sensor, I would think it would, most of the FI seems to be like automotive FI (for the most part) and should I weld an O2 bung onto the Mircon header so I keep the 02 sensor?I am not surethe headerhas it. Any help would be great.

-Tom

Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: O2 Sensor and Full Exhaust

if teh exhaust is meant for a CA bike then yes it will have a o2 sensor bung. if its not then you will have to put in a adpater (have it welded in by any exhaust shop)

Old 12-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use a dynojet 02 sensor eliminator plug.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Honda put an 02 there for a reason ya know. I would want to keep it so I don't want to use an eliminator. Honda pays it's engineers alot of money and I am sure they have a better idea of what it takes to get their bikes running the best then I do. LOL

Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a partial truth and not an absolute truth. if that was the case then they'd be racing the bike right out of the box, with no more performance gains, etc. it's designed for optimal efficiency AND performance...and you just can't have BOTH...

do a search on how the O2 sensor works. it's not like a car where it tells the ecu to lean out or richen A/F. it's not that advanced or intricate. it only tells it to lean out during certain TB positions and RPMs...so basically when you're at partial throttle and cruising on a highway. when you WOT, it goes to a set map.

if you have cali bike, then you have O2. if you have newer than 05 then you have O2 sensor. the sensor eliminator prevents the wicked red FI light and also prevents the bike from leaning out during cruise times. you'll see no performance gain at WOT. all you'll see is loss in MPG.

if you get the f/s, you'll need EM...PCIII is your best bet.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

that's a partial truth and not an absolute truth. if that was the case then they'd be racing the bike right out of the box, with no more performance gains, etc. it's designed for optimal efficiency AND performance...and you just can't have BOTH...

all you'll see is loss in MPG.
You are correct with that, but I come from working in an autobody shop as a tech andlearned that really for most of the time, the factory is the best way to go. The parts bolt up and work right, fit right and look like they belong. That is very important to me, the parts need to look like they belong and fuction like the factory intended. Nothing turns my eye off on a bike more then a hacked up aftermarket job or even a hacked up job using factory parts....there are just so many hacks out there that own bikes it amazed me. You think that most people would take care of their bikes but this is not so true. I doubt this bike is a Cali bike so all this is really moot. I would have ventured out to take a look at it, but it currently is in a storage unit untill my Katana sells. Thanks for the help guys.