F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Nood w/ Qs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nood w/ Qs

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and am looking to buy a used bike soon, got couple of questions before buying, hope you guys/girls can help me out.

I'm a beginner rider, got my endorsement about a year ago, never got the fund to buy a bike until now, I have not been riding since I got my endorsement. So I'm looking to buy a usedbeginner bike, my budget is pretty limited, I don't want to go $4500, I'm currently looking at either the F4i or the 600RR, is there a BIG different between those two? Do you think a beginner like me could feel the different between those two? I'm kind of leaning toward the F4i, because they are much more closer to my price range. Or should I save up more money to buy a 600RR??

Thanks guys!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nood w/ Qs

F4i is more forgiving and the 600rr is race ready. the RR is also more expensive to insure I do believe as well. You wont go wrong with the F4i. Make sure you go through the MSF course and get safey gear prior to riding because I can promise you that a 600 is extremely powerful and the minute that you think you know how to handle it, the bike will take you for a ride and something serious could happen

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
WOT

You can get an 01 or 02 F4i for around $4500. This subject has been exhausted so many times that I would suggest a search. My opinion is get an SV650 as your first bike.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Yeah...many threads on this topic. From what I gather the main difference is price and comfort. Performance-wise they are very similar.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM

If you have your endorsement then you must have had a bike to take to the DMV for their test or did you just get a motorcycle permit which some states allow?

I think the #1 thing when purchasing any motorcycle is familiarity with the clutch, front-brake, gear shift, rear brake, and most importantly the throttle. If you can coordinate all these on another bike to the point of passing a driving test at the DMV then I think an F4i is within your grasp.

Personally, I find the F4i to be 2 bikes in one. You can cruise all over town easy as pie as long as you keep the motor below about 4,500 rpm. If you cannot handle this bike at that low engine speed then you do not need to ride anything. Its when the bike wakes up at about 6,500+ rpm that danger starts to kick in. So for all the recommendations and warnings people will throw at you I say the real question lies with you, can YOU use good judgement and ride this bike safely.

Put it like this. Having an F4i and riding it tamely is like using one of those long BBQ grill lighters. Just using the lighter and the little flame at the end for whatever intended purpose it serves is no big deal. Twisting the throttle back and winding the bike up however is like holding an aerosol can behind that lit BBQ lighter, now you have a mini flame thrower and you better be careful where you point it.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM

No matter what you say, your curiosity will get the better of you, probably within the first two weeks of riding, and you will twist that throttle for all it's worth. And you'll say "It's not that bad, I can handle this thing". And that's when you get over confident and risk hurting yourself (or worse). Do some searching on first bikes...and make a decision on what you buy after that. Many even say the SV650 is too much to start on...and they might be right. I started on a Ninja 500 and it bit me after 600 miles of experience; I thought I had it all figure out by then...but a scar down my left arms reminds me I couldn't have been more wrong.