F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

No wheelies for me!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No wheelies for me!?!?

WELL I RECENTLY LEARNED TO HOLD MY WHEELIES IN 1ST SO FAR.THE BEST WAY FOR ME WAS CLUTCHING IT.IF U DO A POWER WHEELIE U RUN OUT OF GEAR AND IT TENDS TO JERK THE BIKE. I WOULD STICK TO CLUTCHING IT AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR LEANING FORWARD OR NOT.LEARN IN FIRST BEFORE TRYING SECOND.BY THE WAY I ALSO HAVE AN 02' F4I.(STOCK)

Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: stuntn_r6

definately a no on the power wheelies...

clutching it is not unexpected at all...keep doing what you're doing, but everytime rev it a little higher and slip the clutch a little faster. Eventually the front tire will come up...then you just keep getting higher in the revs as you get more comfortable and it will continue to get higher and higher...

AND ALWAYS COVER THE REAR BRAKE!!!

+1 on the no power whoolies, if u pop up a power whoolie and hit the power band it will throw your bike back faster maybe too fast for you to prepare for; if you clutch it up you will waste less rpms getting in up to your bp

Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 AM

I dunno id have to disagree i have an 06 F4i totally stock and it comes up very smooth if i roll back the throttle around 40 and quickly give it some gas thats the way i learned how to do em

Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+10 on no power wheelies theyre squidly and dangerous as hell. sit with your feet over the front fairing and your butt on the gas tank and push the wheelie button instead.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  12.5 KBI've never done a power wheelie,never really tried too much but can do clutch wheelies all day. Get rolling about 10-15 mph,pull in the clutch, rev to 8-9k rpm and thowout the clutch. Bike comes right up and stays there then just throttle it all the way thru 1st.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 AM

Yo, new to the forum here but ive had my F4i for 3 years now. Alot of the posts on this subject arent correct at all, but some do give good advice, but could definatly end up bad if tried by someone who doesnt know how to control a bike. But in that case, a wheelie can end up bad even if you do know how to ride a bike, and you all know that. When I got my bike, i didnt know how to do wheelies so it was weird learning them. I started out cluthing them in first gear, i would never reccommend a power wheelie, just becuase at the really high RPM's, is where your powerband is, and if u dont know your band, you will end up on the concrete. Most riders think that the power wheelie is better because of no sudden power gains like you would have in a clutch, but this isnt true, the powerband is the most noticeable in 1st gear. I have since moved on to 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies and have always clutched them up and feel way better that way because you know how the bike is going to react and u can also control it with the clutch and brake. First off, know your clutch and where the release point is, that is the most important part of bringing it up the easiest. Once i learned it was like night and day. 2nd, stand up, you have more control over the bike with your weight at your feet instead of your butt, not to mention it brings the center of gravity back and up, which will help bring the bike up. 3rd off, do not stagger your stance, it makes the bike less stabil and you will end up in the rear wheel death wobble. most people think that will help with bringing it up, which it will, but the stability part of it isnt worth it and in my opinion it comes up way to fast. 3rd off, getting to the balance point....yikes. I basically had to change my pants the first few times i got there or even close. you will feel like you are going to fall backwards. this is something that you will gain inch by inch and get more comfortable with over time. Now i can wheelie for miles at the balance point and even slow it down to around 30. All my wheelies in 2nd start at about 55, thats the best speed, even from talking to other people with other bikes. I work at a shop so i see the best and worst of stuff with bikes, and some people just cant do wheelies. anyway, sorry for the long *** post but when doing wheelies, dont go over your own head, and dont be stupid.....ride safe

Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: ace6839

Yo, new to the forum here but ive had my F4i for 3 years now. Alot of the posts on this subject arent correct at all, but some do give good advice, but could definatly end up bad if tried by someone who doesnt know how to control a bike.
My man Ace wrote an essay. Major Props! Also, I loved that he wrote that the posts on this matter are not correct at all and yet there were some good advices. So, I take it that the good advices were still incorrect? jk.
Going back to the power wheelie, I don’t recommend them nor I would any type of wheelie because there is a good chance that with either you can throw your bike backward. In my opinion (and it is shared with some people in this group) that power wheelies are much smoother and the clutching is more of a jerky reaction. Also, clutch wheelies will burnout your clutch much quicker and if that’s cool with you then go for it.
However, the discussion started with a person telling us that the clutch wheelie he has no “lift off”. So, some of our recommendation were to do a power wheelie just to see if he can pick up his bike. With some practice he will decide what works best.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 PM

I think I might have figured out some of my problem with the wheelie. I have started to notice the clutch acting funny. Anyone think the I might have enough clutch slippage to prevent the wheelie

Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

No dude. Unless you've got a quart too much of oil in your bike and your clutch looks thin as a WalMart receipt, that bike will come up.

I just wheelied my buddies 75 HondaCB550 with stock everything... including the cltuch. Your bike can come up.

It's not coming up because you're not doing it right. I know that sounds obvious, but I'm serious.

You simply have to keep doing it and doing it and doing it. Once you find it, you'll be blown away when you see someone ask, "my 600 doesn't want to come up with the clutch, what gives?"

Yeah, okay buddy - you're bike is the only 600 in the world that won't come up. I'm not talking about you, I'm just saying.

Also, some things to help. Make sure your chain/sprockets are in good shape. If they are, make sure you tighten your chain. Helps a bunch, but you still won't notice that until you start actually riding a couple 10 or so wheelies out. Then you might feel how a tight chain will help.

Also, I'm gonna recommend you not stand up just yet and FOR ONE REASON...

When you stand up, you're sacrificing a bit of cover for the rear brake. It's a more unnatural position for your foot to cover the brake while standing compared to sitting. Get that front wheel up a couple of times, a dozen or so. Then practice riding it a few feet and sitting it down with your brake/throttle combination.

After a dozen times or so of riding out and sitting down your own wheelies then stand up.

Just please, don't power wheelie. Looping a bike sucks and I hope I never have to do it.

P.S. That's a good write up there ^^^

Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM

For me the power wheelie helped me get use to the front wheel being in the air and when I got the nerve up to do one with the clutch it wasn't as shocking when the bike started to rise

Quick Reply: No wheelies for me!?!?