F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

No wheelies for me!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wheelies for me!?!?

So I finally got the nerve to try to wheelie my bike, and I asked a friend how he does it. (he has a '04 R6)He says roll about 50 mph in 2nd, pull clutch, rev to 10k, pop clutch. Ok simple enough. I followed the formula numerous times and the bike lurches forward, and takes of like a bat out off hell, but no lift off. Is it cause my sprocket, fork rebound to soft...... I am puzzled.

PS. I have a '02 F4i

Any help would be great,
Justin

Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Default RE: No wheelies for me!?!?

I wouldn't recommend the clutch technique for someone that hasn't wheelied before.
Throttle blips while pushing down and lifting up on the forks at the power band would be the best bet for starters.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=wheelie

Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on AnthonyTxl - Follow that video.

In any case, it's kinda cool when the bike lifts itself up on throttle only!
I need to get up to around 7000rpm (1st gear, full gas) before my bike lifts up. Thats with me sitting down and leaning forward!!

The clutch wheelie can be really unexpected, so take care.
Under all circumstances, cover your rear brake for emergencies. And remember to keep the front wheel straight while coming down!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM

I have watched that video before as part of my own pep talk. I will try it. I just wonder if my bike is just getting worn out.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM

lol i highly doubt it's your bike getting worn out. i can power wheelie from 6000 1st gear

Old 02-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: AnthonyTxL

I wouldn't recommend the clutch technique for someone that hasn't wheelied before.
Throttle blips while pushing down and lifting up on the forks at the power band would be the best bet for starters.

That's outta control. That's horrible advice. It shouldn't be repeated. Under no circumstances is a power wheelie a better option to the clutch.

Learn the clutch.

Your bike will come up in first and second that I know of by using the clutch. As long as your sprockets still have all their teeth and your chain isn't flapping around - it will come up much easier with the clutch.

Actually, I'm not certain a600 will do a power wheelie (without a lot of work)... but then again it's FI so I'm guessing yes. I'm not saying it won't or can't, I just don't know. I would never attempt to do a power wheelie, haha.

Just learn it with the clutch. I don't care if you only want to do one once in a while and you have no ambitions of being a stunter. Learn the clutch wheelie and you exponentially increase your chances of not looking like a douchebag when you try to wheeliein front of people and trash your bike - looking like a fool from the start with trying to power wheelie.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 PM

a 600 can do a power wheelie lol

Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 PM

I went one gear down and 2 weeks of practicing i can consistantly ride out first gear and i start it at around 4500 rpm. 20 to 25 mph

at first i also had to keep the visor up just to make sure i hear the bikes rpms, you dont want to catch yourself staring at the rpm while its comin up.
Practice them either power or clutch, it will not be tomorrow but eventually you will gain CONFIDENCE. Daytime was also best when i was starting because you can see a lot more. night time or dark road you really can't judge what the bike is doing. once you get the feeling of the hight then you will also be more confident at night! If i am giving wrong info someone please advise me as well!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 PM

I have done them both ways, its more of how comfortable you feel doing them. I don't do them to show off. I have done them to see if it can be done. I have spent too much money and work on my bike to wreck it to show to someone I will probably never see again.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

ORIGINAL: AnthonyTxL

That's outta control. That's horrible advice. It shouldn't be repeated. Under no circumstances is a power wheelie a better option to the clutch.

Learn the clutch.

Your bike will come up in first and second that I know of by using the clutch. As long as your sprockets still have all their teeth and your chain isn't flapping around - it will come up much easier with the clutch.

Actually, I'm not certain a600 will do a power wheelie (without a lot of work)... but then again it's FI so I'm guessing yes. I'm not saying it won't or can't, I just don't know. I would never attempt to do a power wheelie, haha.

Just learn it with the clutch. I don't care if you only want to do one once in a while and you have no ambitions of being a stunter. Learn the clutch wheelie and you exponentially increase your chances of not looking like a douchebag when you try to wheeliein front of people and trash your bike - looking like a fool from the start with trying to power wheelie.
As a new rider, that makes no sense to me. You will be able to feel the bike better if you ease on teh wheelie, instead of popping teh clutch and going ***** out first try...

Quick Reply: No wheelies for me!?!?