F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning

I bought a 05 F4i (w/ strange looking seat) on September and I just took it to the shop for an oil change and a chain lube. The shop did put more lube on my dirty chain.

My question is : “Is only lubricating the chain enough? without actually cleaning the chain?” The previous owner also told me that he only did chain lube w/ oil changes at the dealer.

My chain looks like… it’s covered with black tar.
Should I clean it when it turns black?
Thanks~

Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Default RE: New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning

No.....you should clean it BEFORE it's black. LOL.

I clean mine every two times I lube it. Always do it when the chain is warm and I use Motul Chain Cleaner or WD-40 in a pinch. Cleans fine and will not harm the o-rings. Then lube with the appropriate chain lube.

I dont keep track of the mileage that i clean it so....I would guess it to be around every 800-1000 miles.

Also, the manual will tell you to use kerosene to clean it. Just an FYI there.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

I try to clean, lube and adjust somewhere between six and eight hundred miles. I have been told it should be cleaned and lubed every three hundred miles. Not sure how accurate that is.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM

400 mile clean
800 miles clean and lube

Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Yeah, if it's black, that's bad. I picked up some kerosene at Menards for 14 dollars that will last me for approx 2 years. Use that with a brush and then get it all lubed up. My chain looks metallic and slick when it's cleaned and lubed. The manual says 500 miles and I'd say stick to that approx. timeframe. Everyone will say something different, but doing it more often can't hurt it. FYI, if you do the kerosene thing, get some disposable rags and decent gloves. That stuff stinks like crazy and will follow you for a day or two.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 PM

ok sorry guys for such a newb question (newb over here), but when u get kerosene and scrub it with a brush, could you just spray the chain lube on or do you have to brush or rub it in the chain?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM

Should you take the chain off when you clean it?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Click:

http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/cleanandlubricate/

Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys... but, I just realized that I need to buy a rear stand for this job.
(OR do I have to start cleaning from the end ofthedrive-way and move up into the garage?)

Any suggestion on the rear stand? I did some searches but I don't understand words of spool, adapter, ..etc ...
I'm looking for a simple rear stand that I don't have to take out or put ormove any parts... plz help~ thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM

I have an overhead beam in my garage, I use ratchet straps to lift the rear of my bike.

I then use a multipurpose degreaser, spray it on, spin the wheel by hand while brushing the whole chain down with a plastic brisstle scrub brush, I then hose it off and repeat.....

Then I start the bike and put it in gear and let it run for a couple minutes while blowing compressed air on the chain to dry it..

Then with it still running in 1st gear at idle, I spray a good dose of motul chain lube to the center of the chain. Then shut bike off and let it sit ready for next ride.

Works for me, chain stays clean and quiet. I have 5200 miles on my 06 and chain and sprockets are like new, I have only cleaned and lubed a couple times. I plan to do it more often though.

Quick Reply: New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning