F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New, inferior battery causing FI light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, inferior battery causing FI light?

I recently had an FI light issue (came on out of the blue, steady). I shut off the bike immediately. When I tried to restart the battery was dead - no surprise because I could feel it slowing down over a period of a couple of weeks when cranking. I assumed that the FI light was related to the dying battery.

I gets me a new battery from the dealership and pop it in (after trickle charging it to full capacity). However, the dealer was out of the stock Yuasa CBR battery but sold me one that he said would work and was "almost as good". Bike starts up fine but what's this? The FI light still comes on, blinking twice; but bike is running fine so I ride. However, after riding for about 15 minutes, I shut off the bike and immediately restart it...and no FI light at all. Bike runs perfectly.

However, if the bike sits for a day or 2, the bike will barely idle at startup and the FI light comes blinking twice on which causes the idle to jump to a steady 2,000 rpm. Once again, after riding for about 10-15 minutes, I shut off and immediately restart the bike...no FI light and bike runs perfectly.

BTW, I'm running PCIII, K & N filter and 2 Bros. slipon. I've disconnected the PCIII but no change in bike's behavior so I don't think that is the problem. I've disconnected the MAP sensor & cleaned connections. No change.

I can't believe the MAP sensor "warms up" causing it run fine after a brief period.

Did I get sold a crappy battery that only operates the bike properly after running at high RPM for a while, thus building up a bit of a charge?

Anyone? Anything?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
WOT
Default RE: New, inferior battery causing FI light?

Don't think it's the battery. Is the battery staying charged and are your terminal connection on tight?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM

The FI light flashing twice is a code that tells you whats wrong with your bike. Check the service manual.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: WOT

Don't think it's the battery. Is the battery staying charged and are your terminal connection on tight?
Connections are tight and the battery seems to stay charged enough to crank the engine briskly. Of course I never go more than a day or 2 without riding it so it doesn't get a chance to discharge much.

ORIGINAL: 808HondaLife

The FI light flashing twice is a code that tells you whats wrong with your bike. Check the service manual.
Yep - service manual says 2 blinks is either vacuum hose disconnection (they're all fine and tight) or MAP sensor faulty. It just seems wierd that the sensor would slooowwwwly go bad...plus I'm trying to avoid the $127 bite for a new MAP sensor

I don't know much about batteries (amps vs. volts) so I wondered if it somehow may be related to the actual "power output" of the battery on cold, 2 day old startup. Oh well, I'll watch it and if it gets worse I'll probably replace the MAP sensor.

Thanks guys.