600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Blinkers Causing a Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers Causing a Problem

Hi All,

I just installed LED signalsfront and back. I needed to add a resistor to slow down the blinking. I'm sure I installed it correctly but now the bike won't start.

Did I just kill the battery during testing or did I install it incorrectly (in which a continuous feed is beingdrawn from the battery)?

Resistor has a black wire coming out of one end and a red wiring coming out from the other end.
I connected the red from theresistor to the red from the bike and to the red from theled. I did the same for the black.
Tested it and the signal is blinking at proper speed. Did the same to the other side.

Now the bike won't start.

Any ideas?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Blinkers Causing a Problem

Couldn't follow your directions there, think you said red for both wires when you hooked it up. A resistor is hooked up not in series, it's hooked up so that it completes the circuit the same as the bulb or LED is. So one wire should be on the common and the other is on the 12v. I did the same thing with my bike at the beginning of summer. I was adding a relay so I could have marker lights and signals up front and ran the battery down. I started it before I left, but when I came back a couple of days later... she was dead. Had to leave it on a slow charge over night to bring her back to life. No problems since.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM

i would make sure i had a hot battery, and double / triple check all fuses, make sure the kill switch was not unplugged / flipped to killby accident etc, will it crank at all or make a clicking sound like its trying to crank? also,,, key on, engine off,,, turn on your left turn signal. does it flash?

most resistors dont come with a black / red wire because it does not matter which way you install them so long as you parallel them across the + and - of the turn signal bulb wires

edit in :: forgot to add ... if you installed the resistor at the bulbs which is what most people do,, then you should not have a power draw problem because when you turn off the key it kills the power to lights, in short open circuit = no draw,
I'm guessing blown fuse, unplugged / activated kill switch, or just a dead battery if you played with them for a hour or so with the lights on,
just depends on if it cranks over, clicks but won't crank, etc etc

Old 11-04-2007, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Found the problem. I failed to realize that the battery is original. I killed the battery during testing throughout the install. I put it on the trickle charger for the day and all is good.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Retired Administrator

Thanks for the follow up.