F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Exhaust Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust Install Problem

All-
I am trying to put on some new exhaust, but for some reason I keep getting a leak at the head. I've put exhaust on cars before without a problem, first time on a bike. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of?

It's 02 The exhaust is akrapavic.

Thanks in advance!

Cloots

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Sounds like your putting on a whole new exhaust? I have never done the whole system. Is there a gasket that needs to be put in there? If there is, did you clean the old one off good?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM

yes there are copper O-ring gaskets that need to be replaced every time the head pipes are tightened down

they also sell copper gasket maker but i wouldn't advise it for the entire job, it's usually used to seal a joint between 2 pipes that has a minor leak

EDIT - you will need to remove the old o-rings, just used a screw driver and try to pry it out. if that doesn't work use a straight edged punch and cut it so you can use that spot to pry against

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bwayers
yes there are copper O-ring gaskets that need to be replaced every time the head pipes are tightened down

they also sell copper gasket maker but i wouldn't advise it for the entire job, it's usually used to seal a joint between 2 pipes that has a minor leak

EDIT - you will need to remove the old o-rings, just used a screw driver and try to pry it out. if that doesn't work use a straight edged punch and cut it so you can use that spot to pry against
Thanks for the input! I noticed last night that one of the O-rings has a defect in it, so I will need a replacement. It's good to know that they will all need to be replaced now that they have been tightened once. Do you guys use a torque wrench when tightning these up? I'm kinda spooked a bit on how tight to make these, I've heard that alluminum heads can crack fairly easily. Any truth to that or am I just being paranoid?

And btw, can I just say that the front cowl sucks to put back on!! (took it off for windshield and turn signal replacement)

Cloots