F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New and confused about oil and coolants

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and confused about oil and coolants

So i just bought my f4i. there is some coolant and oil left over. not much coolant though from what i can peak through when i remove the lid. its kinda hard to see the coolant and match it up with the low or high level, which is why i think theres very little coolant in it. the oil level is VERY difficult to see through the oil window. its either completely empty or completely full, so full that i cant see any level at all through the oil window. but heres my question. if i wanted to add more coolant and oil, am i suppose to empty the old one first and then add or can i just put it in. i dont know what the previous owner used for coolant and oil.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you're checking the fluids make sure the bike is not leaning on the side stand. If the levels are low and it's not time for a scheduled change then just add the correct fluid.

But don't add anything until you are positive it's low. Too much coolant won't necessarily hurt anything but it will overflow the reservoir when it gets hot and make you think something's wrong. Too much oil is a bad thing ... not as bad as too little oil, but a bad thing none the less. Can lead to frothy air bubbly oil that doesn't protect very well. Also, excess crankcase oil can be sucked into the air filter ... not good.

If you don't have a buddy near by that can help you with this stuff try going to the local Honda dealer and see if they'll help you out.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 AM

I would really recommend getting rear stand. It will help a lot in a long run. Checking fluids, chain maintenance... you name it!

Also I'll throw an additional small question. I'm going to change my oil and bought 4qts of 10w-40 synthetic Castrol oil. I'm not sure what the previous owner was using. Was my choice of oil correct?
The bike is '02 with almost 12k mi.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4qts of 10w-40 synthetic Castrol oil
Yeah, you're good

Old 08-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by normant
So i just bought my f4i. there is some coolant and oil left over. not much coolant though from what i can peak through when i remove the lid. its kinda hard to see the coolant and match it up with the low or high level, which is why i think theres very little coolant in it. the oil level is VERY difficult to see through the oil window. its either completely empty or completely full, so full that i cant see any level at all through the oil window. but heres my question. if i wanted to add more coolant and oil, am i suppose to empty the old one first and then add or can i just put it in. i dont know what the previous owner used for coolant and oil.
+1 to what Chainstretcher said.

Additionally, another thing you can do is to change your oil since you don't know when it was last changed and what was used.

It is not a hard job to do an oil change and it is a $25.00 job for DIY'er (including the filter).

Once you get a rear stand or someone to help you, check the coolant while the bike is cold and while the bike is standing vertical. Don't worry how much coolant is in the reservoir yet, you want to check to see how much is in your radiator first. If you radiator is full, then just make sure that the reservoir is filled to the line.

It is not hard to do the coolant change either in case you want to start fresh with both sets of fluids, but if your bike doesn't get too hot during your riding phase (like when at a stop light or sitting in traffic), then your coolant is doing its job. Temps between 220F - 228F is normal, but I am not sure how much higher is considered normal. Coolant doesn't brake down as easy as oil, so if it is at level and your bike is not overheating, you should be okay.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by supersnake83; 08-30-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Your bike will NOT take 4 quarts, mine will not even take 3 quarts unless I change the oil filter also.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM

^Have you ever changed oil? You always change the filter, and mine takes 4.

But the highest mine has hit is 232 I believe, that was about a 1 minute red light on a scorching day here in Chicago of about 90. I envy you in warmer climates.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
^Have you ever changed oil? You always change the filter, and mine takes 4.

But the highest mine has hit is 232 I believe, that was about a 1 minute red light on a scorching day here in Chicago of about 90. I envy you in warmer climates.

My last oil change took just a hair more than 3 quarts.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Have you ever changed oil? You always change the filter
Depends on your maintenance routine. If you change your oil every 2K miles, then technically you can go with as many as four oil changes before the recommended 8K mile filter replacement (as per manual), but it's mainly about what you feel comfortable with. My last oil change took just under a gallon.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 AM

Okay, for the record the service manual states...

Engine oil capacity:

After draining---------------------3.0 liter (3.2 US qt)
After draining/filter change--------3.3 liter (3.5 US qt)
After disassambly-----------------3.7 liter (3.9 US qt)

Quick Reply: New and confused about oil and coolants