F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New and confused about oil and coolants

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys! i put it leveled and i can see i have enough oil but coolant is running low. if i were to pour more coolant, can it be mixed with another brand of coolant? also, how do i refill the front break fluid? its not like the rear break fluid that u can turn the cap and get it off.

EDIT: can i put car coolant in? or does it has to specified motorcycle coolant?

Last edited by normant; 09-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much any coolant will do. Believe I'd go ahead and drain all the old crap out and flush with water then replace with new.

Some coolants are premixed at 50/50 or you can buy the straight stuff and mix it with water.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM

oh how about the front break fluid? how do you refill that? its not like the rear break fluid where i can just remove the cap and put some new fluid in

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Have someone hold the bike straight up for you while you look at the sight-glass.

-Chad

Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by normant
oh how about the front break fluid? how do you refill that? its not like the rear break fluid where i can just remove the cap and put some new fluid in
Umm, ya, it pretty much is the same. Remove the cap and put in fluid if needed. Make sure you clean everything before removing the cap (front or back). Dirt and crap getting in the brakes is a bad day waiting to happen. And ya, it's 'brakes'

Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were to pour more coolant, can it be mixed with another brand of coolant?
can i put car coolant in? or does it has to specified motorcycle coolant?
Coolant/anti-freeze formulas are given colors in order to identify them. Why? Because they're not all compatible with one another. Like Chain said, if in doubt flush it out. As for motorcycle specific coolant, the answer is no. You can use automotive stuff so long as it's not corrosive to aluminum and it does not contain silicates (ie: Prestone Extended Life). LINK

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Just kind of whipped through reading peoples responses so idk if im re-posting this but I would use Synthetic oil if you dont know what the previous owner used... you cant use non-synthetic once synthetic has been used...Synthetic is better anyways!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by K7inne09
Just kind of whipped through reading peoples responses so idk if im re-posting this but I would use Synthetic oil if you dont know what the previous owner used... you cant use non-synthetic once synthetic has been used...Synthetic is better anyways!
This is 100% FALSE. You can go back and forth from synthetic to non-synthetic all you want.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM

It also depends on how you run your bike and how long you decide to change the oil.. I would suggest full-synthetic if your standing it up on one wheel all the time or if you are bouncing it off the rev limiter or riding at a higer RPM. If you are commuting and shifting at a normal pace and want to have some play time on the weekends regular oil will do.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by DBEAU
This is 100% FALSE. You can go back and forth from synthetic to non-synthetic all you want.
Actually was only like 50% false ... the synthetic IS better than non-synthetic. But you can go back and forth. You can even mix the two. What do you think the synthetic blends are?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New and confused about oil and coolants