F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

hello, im new to the board. I recently bought a 2002 cbr 600f4i and have had some issues i was wondering about. I had a friend ride it home when it was about 25 degrees outside lol. Maybe a 3 mile trip, and i notcied when we pulled it into the garage a knocking sound from the motor but wasnt very loud and i have heard that this type of noise is normal. The oil light does come on when you turn the key to the on postion and stays on but when you start it up it goes away. So i decided to change the oil anyway and put some fuel stabilzer to store for the rest of our nasty weather (todays high 10). after i changed the oil i tried to get it to warm up but it was too f-ing cold but the knocking sound seemed to be much louder. at temps about 150-160 knocking fairly loud when you rev it up and then let idle. The oil light remains on when you have the key in the on position with the bike off. So im wondering if the cold weather is playing a part and should just let it be till spring or do i have a more serious issue? i couldlnt get it to warm up above 175. Also my gas gauge is non exsistent, is there a sending unit that tipically goes bad that i should look fo?. Thanks for any info, i have little knowledge about this bike.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Default RE: Need some help

The oil light will be on if the key is on and the engine is NOT running. The light goes off, when oil pressure is sufficient to turn it off. As far as the knocking sound. I can't guess from here, exactly what you are hearing. It could be serious or it may not be. Take it to a dealer, it sounds as if some solid advice on the bike in general is needed.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:11 PM

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif], lol... It does say in there about how you're gauge lights come on and you're tach will redline and drop to show you that they're all working and the bike is ready to start. The gas gauge doesnt come on until like ~.98 gallons is what it says in the manual. If its cold 175 is a decent temperature, just dont try to ride your bike until you get a reading of the temperature. Engine knocks are never good, I wouldnt ride/run it much until you figure out what the problem is, you could do some serious damage.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 AM

what state are u from that is so cold......

Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM

not sure if i'm on topic, and i didnt wan't to make a new thread but i also need help. ok, so i check my oil level and it's right under the upper level. but when i turn the ignition to ON the oil pressure is flashing and the red malfuntion light stays on. i guess i can try adding oil, but the oil level is right under the upper level. any help would be great. thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

I understand you have the key on, but the engine is NOT running yet. In other words, you haven't started the engine. If that is the case, the oil light will be on, as it should be on, since the engine is not running, therefore the oil pump is not operating yet, so there is no oil pressure. If the motor is running and the light is on, I would turn it off immediately and trailer the bike to a dealer.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM

ooooo ok. i read the book wrong. so if the bike is on and running and the oil pressure is flashing and the malfunction light is on, then it's a problem. and if the ignition is on the bike is not running, those lights should be on anyways. is this correct?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Yes, that is correct.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM

ok, one more question. when i check my oil earlier today, it was fine. i left the bike on idle for a bit and everything was fine. but when i took it out for a ride something didnt feel right. i came to a stop light and downshifted correctly. when i put it in neutral and the bike was idle, it just shut off. this has been happening for a while now and i can't figure out what it is. another instance, when i all of the sudden press in the clutch and the rpm drops (cause clutch is in), the bike just shuts off. it seems as though if the rpm is lower than 2k the bike shuts off. and the only way i can startit back up is to give it some gas, then turn it on. i just replaced the battery this morning and charged it. if it's not my battery, what is it?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM

damn, i just read that and it's pretty confusing. well i hope u guys understand.