need a new rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: need a new rear tire

ORIGINAL: Liquidpjear

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: Liquidpjear

Another vote for the 2CTs for a commuter!
actually for just commuting I wouldnt recommend PPs or 2CTs at all lol. I go thru at least 2 sets a year.

Oh but the PP's do great in the rain too.
I guess I should have clarified a bit. I am thinking about my current commute which is about 30 miles round trip with some nice spots along the route to get "spirited". If you have a serious commute and plan to put lots of miles on them then I would go with something a bit cheaper. Even at 2 sets a year though its worth it in my mind for the extra performance.
my 'commuting' is to n from school or church n such. The rest of my riding is in the mtns n to n from such. But for the grip they give ya I guess they are worth it too lol.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continental conti Force Max are great sport touring tires. I use them on my bike, 01 F4i with 51,000 thousand miles.
They are great in the rain and cold. I get 16,000 miles on the rears and 24,000 miles on the fronts.
I ride like you, around town and commute.
About $220.00 a set from Motorcycle accessory warehouse.

If your just looking for bragging rights you can buy the low mileage expensive stuff the others are touting.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dailyrider

Continental conti Force Max are great sport touring tires. I use them on my bike, 01 F4i with 51,000 thousand miles.
They are great in the rain and cold. I get 16,000 miles on the rears and 24,000 miles on the fronts.
I ride like you, around town and commute.
About $220.00 a set from Motorcycle accessory warehouse.

If your just looking for bragging rights you can buy the low mileage expensive stuff the others are touting.
those were the other long lasting tires I was trying to think of. I have contis on my jeep and they have a shyt ton of miles on em. Would I trust em in the twisties n mountains, no, but for simple commuting I would.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Jake go with the 2CT's you can afford them, and I only go thru one set a year not two and I ride all the time. Once you ride on Michellins you won't ride with anything else. (Unless they are free). lol

Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Jake go with the 2CT's you can afford them, and I only go thru one set a year not two and I ride all the time. Once you ride on Michellins you won't ride with anything else. (Unless they are free). lol
how many mile you ride a year and how long is your riding season??

I ride aprox 10k+ a year and I ride year round. I get roughly 5 - 6k on a set of PP's and it wont be any less on a set of 2CTs. Not saying theyre not worth it tho lol.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM

I ride about 6-8 K a year. My riding season is only about 5 months. I live in Nebraska, it gets cold here quickly. My last set of PP lasted me 8000 miles. I guess we ride differently.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

I ride about 6-8 K a year. My riding season is only about 5 months. I live in Nebraska, it gets cold here quickly. My last set of PP lasted me 8000 miles. I guess we ride differently.
we must lol, I thought you did track days etc too???

Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 AM

i'm leaning towards the 2CTs. money isn't really an issue right now. this was probably the last week i'd be able to ride. it has been unseasonably warm and i've been REALLY enjoying it. yesterday i found a spot dead center on my rear tire about a half inch wide and maybe 2 inches long where the cord is showing. i think i almost cried when i saw that cuz i was really going to pack in the miles before the cold set in.
i was studying it last night and it almost looks like wear from locking up the back wheel in a hard break because no where else on the tire looks even anywhere near to this. the rubber looks good and thick everywhere else and the treads and still deep. the only thing i can think of is a couple days ago someone pull out in front of me and i chalked them up pretty hard to avoid becoming a spot on their bumper. i came within inches but had zero contact. i didn't lock the front, but i know i locked up the rear because it started to slid just a little. and of course, they got the finger. i even when out of my way to pull up beside them and plant it right on the drivers window at the next stoplight. i did leave a nice little black mark on the road but i pulled off in a parking lot to inspect and make sure everything was cool right afterwards. i didn't see a thing, but maybe it was just enough cause it to wear out faster in that one spot. oh maybe it is just old and the guy i bought the bike from was full of shiz about the tires being 3 months old. i've had the bike almost 2 months now and i've put right around 500 miles on it already. so it is possible it just is old i guess. but it doesn't really mattter how or why it happened i guess. i just have to get a new one.

but yeah i'm leaning towards the 2CTs after what you guys have said. nate i'll give you a ring after i get out of the gym today

Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM

dunlop qualifiers

Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM

yeah, it kinda depends on how you ride around town too... if you're launching hard off every light, the center is going to wear fast no matter what. I also get at least a year out of my PP's, but then again my commute is only 1.5 miles, not even enough to warm the tires up.

huh, I guess I really got SOLD this last time, they kept saying the 2CTs had a harder compound in the middle, good to know it's just PP compound with softer stuff on the sides. That must be why I'm pilling up on the edges just riding around town... I kept thinking it was because I was riding harder than ever before. Softer compound makes more sense. The 2CTs are absolutely dreamy.

Quick Reply: need a new rear tire