F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

need a new rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new rear tire

i was thinking about pirelli diablo, but i'm kinda new to the whole sport bike thing and i don't really know the good brands. normally when i'm looking for tires, i'm thinking goodyear, bridgestone, etc.
what is recommended? i don't ride tracks, i just cruise around town and ride to work and such. i use my bike like an every day vehicle, except faster

Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Default RE: need a new rear tire

if you want some super sticky goodness, I'm highly enamored by Michelin Pilot Powers. But you'll eat through that rubber real fast doing street riding. There are, of course, the Pilot Power 2CT's (which I just installed on my F4i) which have a dual-compound setup, firmer along the center band so that you stand a better chance of not wearing out just the center of the tire before you have a chance to use the edges. But the 2CTs also carry a premium price.

For commuting, stick with something that will last you a bit longer than "sport" rubber.

Or if you just don't care and want super sticky goodness.... then like I said, check out the Pilot Powers. They are confidence inspiring to say the least.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

oops... sorry, I should try to remain impartial. Pirelli Diablos, Bridgestone Battlax 014/016 (dunno the latest model number) are also comparable. Or Metzeler Sportech M1's. Or even continentals or Avons.

Interested to hear more about Dunlops new fancy tires... but they're like $450 for a set (!)

Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Hey Jake, don't get Goodyears. They make good car and truck but not motorcycle tires. I have had two different types of Michellin tires. The Pilot Powers and now I ride with the 2CT's. The 2CTs are awesome, they are made of dual compound rubber, the sides have softer rubber like the moto gp kind, and the center is a harder rubber that lasts longer, designed for someone who rides normally, but wants to lean a corner and have it grip. I got mine online at

http://www.ridenow.com/results/b2c-s...ampaign=flyout
If you get new tread, you want to go with front and rear so your matching the tread wear on them, they are cheap enough its worth getting two. I spent like 30 bucks to get them on my bike. If you want to talk more, give me a call or text me.

i got both tires delivered to me for 329.00, the bike shop here wanted 318 a tire. I said f*ck the B.S.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys the 2CTs are like reg PPs in the center and softer/stickier on the sides.

if all you do is truely commute and just need a decent traction, long lasting tire at a good price look at avlons.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM

oh and for Michelins its hard to beat the prices here http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...in+Tire+Detail

and they have free shipping.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM

If you live a climate that gets any kinda wet and you plan on riding, I would suggest the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021s. Dual Compound rear. Good "all season" grooving that doesn't sacrifice much in the dry. Most of the guys I ride with, including myself, run these year round. We ride all weather - in Washington. It gets wet here. Its probably going to put down an inch of rain today, and I'll be riding this evening.

If you don't plan on it, the BT-016s are supposed to be ****!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Another vote for the 2CTs for a commuter!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Liquidpjear

actually for just commuting I wouldnt recommend PPs or 2CTs at all lol. I go thru at least 2 sets a year.

Oh but the PP's do great in the rain too.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: Liquidpjear

actually for just commuting I wouldnt recommend PPs or 2CTs at all lol. I go thru at least 2 sets a year.

Oh but the PP's do great in the rain too.
I guess I should have clarified a bit. I am thinking about my current commute which is about 30 miles round trip with some nice spots along the route to get "spirited". If you have a serious commute and plan to put lots of miles on them then I would go with something a bit cheaper. Even at 2 sets a year though its worth it in my mind for the extra performance.

Quick Reply: need a new rear tire