F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

need help with title problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with title problem

okay so when i bought the bike stupid me didnt do a car fax report well i figured looking at the title would tell me if is was salvage or not well it doesnt say salvage or any thing its a michigan tittle or mabe im missing something but when a car fax report was done it said it had a salvaged title issued im going to the nys dmv to register the bike tomarrow to see what the new york state dmv says if i have a problem im deffinetly gona have a problem. i asked the guy if the bike was ever recked and he said repeatled it was never wrecked[:@]

i have never seen a michigan title before am i missing something

Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Default RE: need help with title

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

okay so when i bought the bike stupid me didnt do a car fax report well i figured looking at the title would tell me if is was salvage or not well it doesnt say salvage or any thing its a michigan tittle or mabe im missing something but when a car fax report was done it said it had a salvaged title issued im going to the nys dmv to register the bike tomarrow to see what the new york state dmv says if i have a problem im deffinetly gona have a problem. i asked the guy if the bike was ever recked and he said repeatled it was never recked[:@]

i have never seen a michigan title before am i missing something

also it says acuatall milage on title on carfax it says it wasnt

Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Default RE: need help with title problem

First of, wow. I surprised that you did not use his document number and verified it with Michigan DMV. CarFAX is useless in many cases so scratch that for now. On NY title it states clearily Salvage/rebuilt/theft recovery/Mechanically Limitation. I think it will say that on any state title for that matter. Its possible that the only way that you are not seeing it now is if he gave you an old title where it did not state salvaed. Check the date of title issue and the carfax dates. If the title date is older than carfax date, then there is your problem.
Also, the bike does not have to be recked to be salvaged. Part like engine can be stolen and then be replace and given a salvaged title or even an engine swap will to the trick (not sure about that).

Old 06-21-2006, 08:20 AM

the date on the title was newer then the date on car fax the date on the title was in 06 and there is nothing on title. there is no indication of any thing from michigan about it being slavaged on the title thats why i figure it was okay. the dates on car fax were in 04 and 05 the title is 06 one of the wierd things is car fax has it being in 2 places at the same day. i also ran it on another title back round check and nothing came up the other company

Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Interesting. Kinda weird jam that your in.
I think you have a few options.
You can just give in your title to NYS DMV and wait until they re-issue the NYS title to you and see what it says about your bike. (Clean way)

Or just register the bike and dont transfer the title and then sell it with a Michigan title.(Shady way)

Call NYS title bureau and see what they can say about the bike. GO to NYS DMV then do a Lein/title check, punch in the VIN and they will give your their number. Do it early in the morning, they are always busy. May be they can find irregularities with the bikes history.(informed way)

Go to Autocheck.com and see what they say about the bike as an additional reference.( I like them better then CARFAX)

I have a friend that bought a bike with a Lein from NJ and the owner gave him the Lein release document and he transfered the title without any issues. The title did note a NJ bank lein. Its weird that an important element like salvage is not on the paper, but other state are not are picky with salvaged bikes as NYS.

I will think of some other schemes to help you out, i know that this is freaking you out. I would be upset as well. For now I would go with option two. Good LUCK

Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM

Not to boast or anything like that but i hope that you would have read my previous post

https://cbrforum.com/m_116921/tm.htm -------------- 2nd post of the topic

"Now, make sure that YOU have proper documents, meaning on the bile of sale write things that the Seller should warrent. LIke " the seller claims that main componnets such as transmission, enigine, frame are in a good standing condition. " " the seller warrents that the bike is not of salvaged or has a certificate of destruction and can be registered in state of _______"
I know buying a used bike is an insane hastle and selling one is not too easy either.
GOOD LUCK! VERIFY DOCUMENT NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!"

I wrote all that crazy stuff on my bike purchase contract. By im a bit crazy and dont really trust anyone.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 AM

i went to the dmv today and they said there was no problem with no red flags or any thing im just plain lost so the dmv said there was no problem and the title says clear and but car fax said there was and i also checked a second title backround site there was nothing . i checked the bike out looked at frame and stuff and no problem i took it for a ride today and ran great and true . so im just gona not think about it lol.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 AM

Dam CARFAx

Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Wrecked is spelled with a W

Old 06-23-2006, 01:20 AM