F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need help diagnosing a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing a problem

Mid April I started having an issue with my 2003 f4i, around 5.5k/6k my rpms would sputter in 1st through 4th gear and 5th and 6th gear would sputter around 9k, and at first it would be sporadic then it started happening during wheelies and during the process of clutching up. Then after trying to diagnose the problem and replacing parts it would run fine for about 5 minutes then it starts to sputter again then gets so bad it gets put into a limp mode where it won't go past 3k rpm and would bounce off the 3k mark like a limiter. I also don't have any f1 codes or errors.

so far I have replaced the stator, rectifier, and iat sensor with brand new oem parts, replaced the plugs, I did the fuel filter and I also have a new pump but I didn't swap it because the pump is still strong. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator and all the vacuum lines, as well as checking the throttle bodies and the fuel Injectors were pretty clean for having 40k miles, I replaced every fuse this afternoon and double checked connections, terminals and the Map sensor.

The battery seems strong but I will probably end up replacing it and keeping this one as a spare, I have also read that someone had a similar issue with the "limp mode" thing where they'd hit 2k and have it bounce back to idle repetitively when the throttle was held open and that ended up being a prong on a cam pulse rotor or something with ignition control (currently doing more research Into this).

If the problem persists I will get a video of it when I'm riding.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.