F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Nail in tire

Old 11-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Default Nail in tire

So I took the bike out today to ride to work for a meeting and when I got back home, I noticed there was a nail in my back tire. I removed the nail and the good news is that no air leaked out. The nail appeared to have just pierced the tread the long way and did not go all the way through the core. (sorry no pictures at the moment, but I will try and get some).

Now, the nail was about 1 inch long and I am wondering if I should still get the tire patched from the inside just in case one day the tire decides to leak.

I know that I am taking a chance but I really don't know what to do.

Am I technically okay since no air leaked out?

Or do I have to worry that one day, the tire could leak air?

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM

To be honest, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree. Ditch the tire. Riding around with a "damaged" tire, no matter who seemingly intact it is, is never a good idea. What happens when it blows out when you're on the highway?

Replace it, please.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM

spray soapy water and see the condition. replace it asap.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 PM

if its not leaking air, dont patch it but do a rubber repair... ive done it plenty of times where i have extra rubber from earlier tires and melt it in the spot of where it needs repair... i usually use the patch kit grider to take off any extra plastic

Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 PM

whats the worst that could happen? it goes flat n youre stuck on the side of the road. Ride it, if it doesnt leak its fine! If it had punctured the tire, plug it, it'll till be fine, ignore the **** worry warts

Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I agree with PlayfulGod. Just ride it.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 PM

just keep in the back of your mind that your tire is damaged so if you do top speed runs and what not always watch it after jsut to make sure the tire is fine. riding on a low tire kinda sucks feels like im on my dirt bike just not stable.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I figured that I should be fine since no air is leaking. I will probably ride again next weekend since we will have some more unseasonably warm weather (around 70 in Philadelphia).

I don't do any track riding, but the most high speed riding I get is from the local highways.

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015 View Post
if its not leaking air, dont patch it but do a rubber repair... ive done it plenty of times where i have extra rubber from earlier tires and melt it in the spot of where it needs repair... i usually use the patch kit grinder to take off any extra plastic
Would you be willing to post directions on how to repair rubber? because I have no clue.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Uhh i did it on my bike before because i had a nail go thru but didnt puncture the tire...

I have old tires from my car and what not in my basement that i never threw out, i dont know why so
1. i got a hack saw and cut off a small piece
2. found the spot where the rubber needs repair, cleaned it off, used air if i needed to if its a deep hole
(prereq... take wheel off bike)
3. got out my propane tourch and melted the old tire till it leaked into the hole of the tire that needs repair... you should melt enough till it kinda creates a small lump
4. then there is that tire prep grater in most tire repair kits... you can buy them anywhere, they are like 50cents.. and it has 2 sides... one that grates off extra rubber (like a cheese grater) the other side sands it out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nail in tire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.