F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Riding Progress Report:

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Riding Progress Report:

Well we just dropped 4000 on the CBR... there is a bike my husband wants me to go look at tonight. I can't remember what he said it was. He said it was older and not a looker. I really don't care just want to learn. I don't think this bike is actually gonig to be a POS but it definitely won't be my F4i!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 PM

lol, whatever it is, as long as it's not your F4i drop it all you'd like lmao

I wish the weather was a bit nicer where I lived so I could ride, I'm rather jealous actually lol.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I wish I could ride too, but this white s**t just won't leave. Don't feel bad about those sharp corners. They still get me worried from time to time. Heck, at my MSF course, I messed up on the 'box' that is all about tight turns three times.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks guys! Will let a know how things progress!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like it is working out fine so far for you..Keep practicing and set up a MSF class before you get on too busy of a public rode. Sometimes when you try and teach someone, you forget to clue them in on the things you do instinctively. So keep working with Hubby, but you'll still get alot from the MSF.

http://www.bike-law.com/CM/Resources...Statistics.asp

24.The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you pointed out that stat Fish.

F4iChick- We wish you well inyour learning.Nothing against hubby teaching you, but the MSF has a structured course that's designed to teach ppl just like you how to ride all the way to safety. It's purposely designed and refined after teaching THOUSANDS of students. My testimonial is that I had NEVER ridden a m/c before the class and finished near the top of the class. Now I'm a trackday junkie.

But if you're NOT going to get into MSF and keep going about it the same way, here's a peice of advice:
Go back to lesson #1 and do clutch drills. Not only will this help with learning not to stall the bike (any bike) but it will help in so many other situations that right now you probably can't fathom, like your U-turns.
What's the clutch drill?MSF uses itafter starting the bike for the first time. You sit on the bike engine running, click it into first gear and s-l-o-w-l-y release the clutch until you can feel the engagement zone. Then you let out a bit more and once the bike creeps about 3 inches you squeeze the clutch again, stopping the movement. Roll back on your feet. Your feet shouldn't move, that's how much control you should have when doing this drill. Repeat 20X or until you get sick of it (whichever is later), then do it again.

Many riders have problems later in their riding due to this one issue: Lack of clutch control. Learn it now and it will be engrained in you forever.

Peace
Keep the Rubber to the Road

PS- Don't beat yourself up over U-turns. A poll onthis or any forum will show youthat many experienced riders don't like (aren't confident with) them. But it is a skill worthy of mastery.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM

Like all the other guys have said an MSF is a must, in fact it was required where I live for me to get my lisence at the time. The course isn't easy either, its not unpassable, but it will probably make you uncomfortable at times, but like what has been said, its designed to make you a safe rider. The final test will require you to have a fairly high amount of control over your bike to pass it, they will make you weave in a very tight space, stop very quickly, etc.

I wouldn't worry about u-turns much, realistically, I hardly ever need to make one and i ride a lot. The slower your going the harder turn becomes. 90% of a bikes control comes from leaning and rolling with the bike, NOT turning the handle bars, and you need forward motion to be able to lean without dumping the bike.

I would also advise you stay off of freeways and really busy streets. Freeways tend to be rough riding surfaces and the high speeds don't give you much of a window to react to things. Busy streets in town can be equally dangerous especialy if your new to riding on them. I sometimes even find myself a little inattentive when I have to do multiple things at once (watch oncoming traffic, shifting, clutching, throttle, signal, corning.....all at once).

Stick with it and it will all become second nature sooner rather than later, just never let yourself become too comfortable.

-Eric

Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 PM

Another safety tip is to wear bright colors. Many people like the look of black and thats cool but being a new rider and not having the knowledge of making yourself visable on the rode, you should deffinately wear bright colors because they are so much easier to see. Also, ALWAYS keep your brights on during the day. They are obviously brighter and easier to so for other drivers. GOOD LUCK and keep up the post.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my g/f had zero bike experience when she bought her '01 F4i. she took the MSF class and the next day began learning on her bike. we took it to a empty highschool parking lot and i bubble wrapped the parts of the fairings that were going to touch in the even she dropped it. i asked her if she cared if it looked stupid (there were some football/track teams out int he fields and in/out of the school looking at it), she said no, and i told her "****'em, they dont have a bike ". so she learned the friction zone of the clutch, and we got her feet off the ground and i THINK 2nd gear.

then i had her follow me on the bike up and down my road (not much traffic, but 2miles long). w/ the fairings bubble wrapped she followed me....i'd take her down ALL the side roads b/c all had different obstacles and challeneges for her (such as taking off on a steep hill at a stop sign). we did that probably for a good two weeks. i just "judged" her in my mirror and told her by the next weekend, if she could follow behind me and take ALL the roads/turns/sidestreets flawlessly, then i'd feel comfortable putting her out on the open road (still WITH me though). she did excellent so we went to my house, removed the bubble wrap and hit the road!

im glad i bubble wrapped the fairings a bit, and did frame sliders BEFORE she started riding (actually she put the sliders on while i watched) b/c she did end up having 4 drops i believe and had ZERO damage to the bike.

we agreed that she would not go out riding alone while i was at work until we were both comfortable w/ her doing so. so now she goes out solo occasionally. we're working our way up to backroads now (not blasting through them). im having her follow my line through the turns and trying to keep the same distance at all times so she can learn how to take a proper line through a turn.

sorry for the long post, lol. anyways, if you're worried about scuffing up your baby....throw some bubblewrap or scotch tape on it. it works great for while you're learning. it will be much much easier once you take the MSF class.

and seriously....no matter how hot it gets, wear that gear! my g/f doesnt have pants yet but im bugging her to get some.

be safe out there, and you've got a great looking F4i!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your tips! I have set up a date with the MSF! My hubby and I are both going to go up there. I am really excited! That is something I definitely wanted and had planned on doing, it totally slipped my mind! Thanks for the reminders! As for my gear... I have a black and pink helmet, with a black jacket. BUT the jacket has silver reflectors on it. When the sun or headlight hit me I shine from all angles! I do have pants and another jacket on their way. This jacket is yellow to match the i on my F4i! LoL....

Jaynd: My husband laughed and laughed about the bubblewrap! Good idea!! We may be trying that! I have sliders just gotta find some time put em on!

Quick Reply: My Riding Progress Report: