F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My hot weather gear solution

Old 07-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Default My hot weather gear solution

So I walked into a store here in Florida with all my gear on and the woman behind the counter said..."aren't you hot?" Standard reply: "Rather sweat than bleed...yada, yada..."
But actually, I wasn't that hot, because I've thought through and actually researched hot weather gear solutions that work for me. Here's the annotated photo:

1: Shoei helmet with a dark shield. For my work, I have some electronic temp/humidity dataloggers. The dark shield is worth 3 to 5 degrees lower temp when into the sun. Compromise: if the ride extends past dark, you need to carry a clear shield, too. Also, you can't make good eye contact with drivers with the Darth Vader look. That's important sometimes, but I can live with the compromise.

2. Icon Tarmac jacket: Perforated ballistic nylon, not mesh. Light CE armor in the elbows, back and shoulders. Leather sleeves. Light color for reflectivity. Compromise: Not as much protection as the heavier textile and leather I wear in cooler weather.

3. TechNiche evaporative cooling vest. You soak this thing in water for 10 minutes and the polymers inside absorb the water. Under a jacket at highway speed, it takes 10 minutes to reduce skin temp from about 90 to about 75. Lasts for about 90 minutes to two hours. Biggest impact of this is to prevent head sweating, especially under the helmet cheek pads, which I hate.

4. Icon Anthem pants: I'm not a great fan of riding jeans, but these have double weight denim and reinforced knees. Comfortable with acceptable but certainly not exceptional protection.

5. Nitro middleweight boots. Concealed laces with Velcro covers. Not exactly track boots, but they'll do. Armored gloves.

I have, unfortunately, been down in this rig. Last year, my wife and I hit a patch of sand in a city intersection that had been thrown down by the cops to soak up anti-freeze after a crash. It was on a white paint line..at night. We went down hard and fast. I scraped a knee and elbow. No damage to me or the pants. One of the jacket sleeves abraded through to the armor, no damage to me, other than being sore from the slam.

Although I'd never wear this gear on the track, I can wear it on the hottest Florida day. It's a compromise that works for me.

--Paul

Attached Thumbnails My hot weather gear solution-floridagear-copy.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 AM

Ive been rather lucky with my bike accident and i have to say i havent learned...i play the comfort role... i have mesh jacket with placed kevlar armor for joints and back... i also have field armor... i love it but depending on the one you get makes you look like a **** star with fishnet... to be honest im that idiot with a tee shirt on... BUT im not that idiot that rips at 120...maybe ill hit 100 IF that i cruise the limit...after the fall im know my place on back of my baby... honesty dude its up to you...

Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Thats a pretty good ensemble you got going there Berto.
I go with a Joe Rocket mesh textile jacket with light armor, HJC tinted visor helmet,
draggin jeans (which are starting to get a little tight, i gatta lose some weight....) and TCX X-Cube riding shoes.
Its perfect for Texas riding, its light but plenty protective.
Just yesterday we had 108+ temps, it gets as hot as it can get plus some horrible humidity, but as soon as I hit the express-way the breeze is just a god-send.

And Steve, i'm more than sure you know the consequences of wearing tee's while riding so i'll skip the jacket sermon, I tend to respect the decisions that others make for themselves, and even though I don't know you, I always feel terrible when I hear that a fellow rider goes down and sustains terrible injuries that could have been prevented with simple riding gear.
Ride safe out there bud.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 07-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Going off #1

I wonder if the color and finish has a big impact on temp...Also a mirrored shield vs a tinted...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Good setup to stay safe and cool(er) at the same time

Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM

Just yesterday we had 108+ temps, it gets as hot as it can get plus some horrible humidity, but as soon as I hit the express-way the breeze is just a god-send.

And Steve, i'm more than sure you know the consequences of wearing tee's while riding so i'll skip the jacket sermon, I tend to respect the decisions that others make for themselves, and even though I don't know you, I always feel terrible when I hear that a fellow rider goes down and sustains terrible injuries that could have been prevented with simple riding gear.
Ride safe out there bud.

Joey, you get a lot worse heat there in Texas than we get in Florida. Because we're surrounded by water, mid 90s is about the limit, although we get it every day. I saw 100 here in Sarasota for the first time ever two weeks ago, but that's rare.

I try to respect the decisions of others, too. But what worries me is the young girls perched half naked on the back of GSXR (a) don't get the risk of street riding in the first place and (b) don't understand that if they come off at any speed, that pretty skin will be gone for good.

It's unfortunate that their boyfriends don't school them in this.

--Paul

Old 07-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Berto View Post

Ride safe out there bud.

Joey, you get a lot worse heat there in Texas than we get in Florida. Because we're surrounded by water, mid 90s is about the limit, although we get it every day. I saw 100 here in Sarasota for the first time ever two weeks ago, but that's rare.

I try to respect the decisions of others, too. But what worries me is the young girls perched half naked on the back of GSXR (a) don't get the risk of street riding in the first place and (b) don't understand that if they come off at any speed, that pretty skin will be gone for good.

It's unfortunate that their boyfriends don't school them in this.

--Paul
Yep, I hear ya Berto,
Still, nagging and preaching to people about what they already know is actually counter-productive.
Most of the time stuff like flaming kinda pushes the rider in question to the other direction rather than in the safe one.
I've seen it too many times to count.

I feel with you about the pillion riding girls with bikinis though, I see it almost every spring break and almost all the time at the beach, makes me cringe... I usually give a under-my-breath prayer for them, but thats pretty much all one can do.
So now a-days I pretty much try and accept that not every single rider out there wears the most basic of gear and when I do see a fellow rider without a helmet or a jacket and I have a minute to chat with them, I usually say something like "hey bro, you know you can get a ticket for no helmet right?" or "That tat looks wicked, wear some leathers so it stays on there!"
The thing is to try and be subtle and less confrontational about it, otherwise it tends to lead a reverse-phycology type of response.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 07-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM

As long as I am moving I am just find... Icon helmet with silver sheild, z1r leather jacket, summer vented gloves, and jeans. Like said above id rather sweat than bleed. Only bad part is stop lights which sucks when the traffic is backed up. My opinion my jacket is alot more pavement resistant than any other mesh type jacket out there so.. yea. I don't want butt skin on my arms =p

Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM

I agree with all of you guys. I always try to wear at least my mesh joe rocket jacket. It has a lot of padding and it helped me when I fell the first time off my bike.

I just wear my jeans, leather gloves with paddings on my fingers, and just jordan basketball shoes.

I seen a lot of guys out there just wearing a shirt and even shorts. Even though they are some of my friends that do this I try to tell them but they always say they feel uncomfortable in it.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Jeans are not going to help in a crash what so ever, ask me about it.

If it is a short short trip (less than 5 minutes) I just wear what I have on plus gloves and a helmet. Anything else and it is either the one or two piece. I've learned my lesson.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My hot weather gear solution

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.