F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My hot weather gear solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>So now a-days I pretty much try and accept that not every single rider out there wears the most basic of gear and when I do see a fellow rider without a helmet or a jacket and I have a minute to chat with them, I usually say something like "hey bro, you know you can get a ticket for no helmet right?" or "That tat looks wicked, wear some leathers so it stays on there!"<<

I think a lot of this is regional, too. I ride in California at least twice a year, sometimes a little more. The motorcycle culture out there is far more evolved than it is in Florida, which is primarily a Harley market in which image is everything, performance and safety not so much. If I had the doo rag market here, I'd be rich.

But in California, you don't see as much half-naked riding. And you see a lot more serious gear, up to and including full leather. Out west, everyone knows that a tap on the helmet means cop ahead. Here, no one seems to.

Some of this has to do with mandatory helmet laws, which force people to think about basic safety. In Florida, I'd trade the no-helmet option for lane splitting any day.

--Paul

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread, sir.

I am trying to go for a somewhat similar setup, although mine is still a good bit behind yours.

I knew the visor makes a good difference (I have a Shoei, too), but hearing it makes that much of a difference...well, sounds like I need to make a near-future purchase.

It may be hard to justify, though, because I love giving people who don't notice me the most dirty of looks, not to mention the look and gesture combo, haha.

Anywho, I'm all or nothing when it comes to gear.

Winter time - leather everything (going to be getting some boots and pants when it cools off, but I already have a leather jacket and gloves)

Summer - mesh/textile, but with armor built in.

Not a fan riding like this, but I'm making do (and improving it as much as possible).

Originally Posted by Berto
Its perfect for Texas riding, its light but plenty protective.
Just yesterday we had 108+ temps, it gets as hot as it can get plus some horrible humidity, but as soon as I hit the express-way the breeze is just a god-send.

And Steve, i'm more than sure you know the consequences of wearing tee's while riding so i'll skip the jacket sermon, I tend to respect the decisions that others make for themselves, and even though I don't know you, I always feel terrible when I hear that a fellow rider goes down and sustains terrible injuries that could have been prevented with simple riding gear.
Ride safe out there bud.

Joey, you get a lot worse heat there in Texas than we get in Florida. Because we're surrounded by water, mid 90s is about the limit, although we get it every day. I saw 100 here in Sarasota for the first time ever two weeks ago, but that's rare.

I try to respect the decisions of others, too. But what worries me is the young girls perched half naked on the back of GSXR (a) don't get the risk of street riding in the first place and (b) don't understand that if they come off at any speed, that pretty skin will be gone for good.

It's unfortunate that their boyfriends don't school them in this.

--Paul
Mid 90's is the lmiit, huh?

I'm originally from South Florida, but my parents now live in the P'Cola area (I go to school in Tally), and it was easily hitting 100, if not pushing 110, for a few weeks not too long ago.

It's settled down a good bit, mind you, but the center of the state definitely has a lot harder of a time breathing compared to the coast